Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

How many pound a of feed should I be going through per month for 17 regular and 20 silkies. I use 200 pounds a month. That seems like a lot. They free range 4 hours per day.

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello.
smile.png

A very pregnant doe....

...and now with little ones.

...and a young buck.

QUESTION do eggs get thinner as hen sits on them to hatch, my chanticlair lays shells that seem hard enough but after a hen sits on hem about a week they seem to start to break, not sure if something is going on, rough nesting or something else> do not have this problem with other eggs.

nice pic of the dear, I saw a young buck a few days ago

Beautiful deer! I'm so excited. I have two chickens that are starting to do the submissive squat! I'm hoping to get my first egg sometime soon :)

Last edited:
Beautiful deer! I'm so excited. I have two chickens that are starting to do the submissive squat! I'm hoping to get my first egg sometime soon
smile.png
Won't be long now!
ya.gif

Love the deer pics/trail cam shots.

@chyna I think I read somewhere that large fowl chickens usually eat 1/4 lb each a day. They also waste a lot of it by knocking it out of their feeders on the floor. That figure was for laying age hens, so mainly the ones that have reached their adult size. That being said, your birds would be going through about 10 lbs a day?

Wasted food has always been a problem. However, you can reduce the loss by feeding pellets rather than mash. With pellets the birds will pick up each individual piece one at a time. With mash many birds will use a technique called billing. It is a side sweeping motion that is the bird's attempt to get as much mash as possible. This side sweeping motion tends to push feed out of the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom