Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

You could incubate a few to see if they start developing.

I've actually thought about doing exactly this. The only issue then would be if they are fertile then I'd end up with just a couple poults.
1f60f.png
It's a fine line we poultry folks walk.
1f914.png

Does anyone here know when do turkey eggs tend to become viable here in Michigan? I have 3 hens, and 1 tom that are almost a year old, and I'm getting eggs daily but unsure if they're fertile. I would like to hatch some poults but want to make sure they're fertile so I'm not wasting eggs. I've tried the cracking one open to look for the bullseye in the yolk, but for some reason turkey eggs seem to be more difficult to see this. With my chicken eggs it was very obvious. Thanks

I've hatched two sets so far and have another 60 fertile in the incubator.

My broody hen started sittting on one egg last Monday. I gave her 2 more on Tuesday and then we put her in a dog kennel. We noticed yesterday she has 4 eggs so must have laid another after we put her in the cage. Anyways, I assume the eggs were all started across Monday - Wednesday so which day should I count as day 1? And will the eggs hatch across a few days then? Just curious.

To my knowledge, once a hen becomes broody, it will quit laying. The broody hen will steal eggs and carry them to her nest or even switch nesting boxes if it contains more eggs. In this period of adjusting she will usually settle in to one box for the remainder of the 21 days. Trust she wont leave the nest until all the eggs hatch or she determines they are duds. Mark day one as when you noticed on Monday and expect it to carry past 21 days. Why the dog cage and not the nesting box?

​To my knowledge, once a hen becomes broody, it will quit laying.  The broody hen will steal eggs and carry them to her nest or even switch nesting boxes if it contains more eggs. In this period of adjusting she will usually settle in to one box for the remainder of the 21 days. Trust she wont leave the nest until all the eggs hatch or she determines they are duds. Mark day one as when you noticed on Monday and expect it to carry past 21 days. Why the dog cage and not the nesting box?

We picked up the whole nest and plastic bin it was in and moved that with her to the dog kennel inside the coop. I didn't want the others bothering her. Plus our nesting boxes are too high up for chicks I thought.

Just set 41 eggs in incubator...for a local farmette.
I'll probably do another batch for me and a buddy, her favorite girl and some OE crosses for me, in 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom