Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Finally finished getting the chicken pen all fenced in. Whew what a job (hubby did most of the work), he's great! I like the idea of using an aquarium heater for a coop waterier, thanks for the link aart; I'll be following. Another project for the hubby
wink.png

I purchased a 55 gallon drum and hooked up PVC and nipple feeders. The drum fills with rain water running down off the coop roof from a gutter I installed. All was well and I even filtered the water and added ACD for any bacteria. I never thought a 55 gallon drum full of water would freeze solid during the winter, but it did! I picked up a floating horse trough heater and did a makeshift hookup the following winter and it helped somewhat except it snows instead of rains in the winter and the water level couldn't be maintained. I carried 5 gallon pails of water to the drum for a while but reverted to heated 1 and 1/2 gallon water dishes for dogs. I now fill those with used 1 gallon plastic milk jugs every day. That's as good as it gets for now!

I'm south of Detroit, downriver area, and am looking for a companion for my one last BR 5 year old hen. She was the dominant one, and is still an amazing layer. But she acts rooster-y, so she'd need a similar sized hen probably to handle her advances.

Anyone know anywhere I can find an old hen who needs a home?

Last edited:
I'm south of Detroit, downriver area, and am looking for a companion for my one last BR 5 year old hen.  She was the dominant one, and is still an amazing layer.  But she acts rooster-y, so she'd need a similar sized hen probably to handle her advances.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/6064431829.html
If you wanna save one from being stew here are some.

Do they get greens daily all winter, or were they fortunate enough to get a "spring cleaning" from a garden bed?  Chickens can't vomit, so what goes in must come out (the crop can be suctioned but that's not generally a DIY, and inverting the bird to clear the crop up the throat often leads to aspiration and suffocation).  

Veggie oil is a good thing to grease the skids.  Oil from a tuna can along with a little tuna is something they go crazy for and what I use if I end up with a glutton.

I hope it's just some digestive upset and things get back to normal for her.
Thanks for all the advise. I did give them greens through winter, although not everyday. This is my first time as chicken mama, so I'm still learning, lol. As for my sick chicken, she is doing much bettef. I read in the emergencies forum about wry neck, and even though hers was not turned completely so her head was upside down, still I think that may be part of the problem. I followed the instructions this one woman gave to cure it, which were to add some selenium and vit E to polyvisol and give her some 3 times/day. And just like she (and others who also tried it) said, it started working immediately! She was holding her head up and she was able to eat and drink! She does seem to be somewhat blind, however. I can't tell if it's just in one eye or in both, and I think she can see shadows. I'm not sure what to do, if anything, about that.

I'm south of Detroit, downriver area, and am looking for a companion for my one last BR 5 year old hen.  She was the dominant one, and is still an amazing layer.  But she acts rooster-y, so she'd need a similar sized hen probably to handle her advances.

That Craigslist ad is for some of my hens, and if you would like a companion bird I have one for you.

How's your mom doing, RaZ? I hope she has a peaceful passing. It's really hard to go through this transition. My heart goes out to you.

Welcome to all the newbies!

Back
Top Bottom