Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

We lost power, so running on the generator now. A tree is down in the side yard, but it missed the car by inches, and the coop by feet. Whew.

We actually made the news last night! The local weather had their "street level" wind map showing very strong winds on our road. I'm guessing 60 plus mph?

I hope everyone is ok!

We lost power, so running on the generator now. A tree is down in the side yard, but it missed the car by inches, and the coop by feet. Whew.

We actually made the news last night! The local weather had their "street level" wind map showing very strong winds on our road. I'm guessing 60 plus mph?

I hope everyone is ok!
I have a friend near Lansing her whole street has trees and powerlines down. I was on voice chat with her during the storm cause she was freaking out. I've been stalking facebook groups and posts it looks awful :(

We are fine here, very little damage, only one tree over a pasture fence. Spending $$ on tree pruning people has worked out well, obviously problem trees are already gone.
On the other hand, I was on I96 during the mess Thursday night. Scariest event ever! Left Novi at 9pm, towards a severe thunderstorm. Big deal, right? Nothing about tornadoes! Right past the fowlerville exit, the first tornado warning hit, and nowhere to take cover. Drove slowly or stopped, everyone with flashers on and not happy. We stopped for 15 minutes or so when we were a couple of miles east of Webberville, probably when that EF2 hit, and then exited at Webberville. Saw multiple semis wrecked on the overpass, some dangling over the guard rail. And have never driven around a flipped semi on 52 right north of the exit, and hope to never again be in this situation.
Hindsight! Could have camped out at a hotel, but thought it would be safe enough to drive home. Driving in high winds and horizontal rain is bad enough, thinking that things were going to get much worse, as they did just a bit further down the road, not fun.
Those semis were tossed around like toys...
Mary

What a storm!!! Never saw so many trees downed. Our road was impassable, as many others in a widespread area. We only had one tree down behind the coop. Luckily it fell to the side and not on top. Next door neighbor lost 30-40 trees. A prized 300 yr oak is down. He's heartbroken. Neighbor down the street lost 30-40 trees. A barn is no more. It's bad. Same with Potterville and Grand Ledge. So sad to see. Trees on houses. There's this huge trunk being held up by wires. Folks must have cut the branches off. But, it's leaning over the street. Scary. Our road was completely block by downed trees. Neighbors were grabbing their chainsaws and clearing out what they could. Trying to make the road passable. Next door neighbor has her food in our extra fridge. We have a generac. Whole area still without power. Other neighbors are getting water out of our hose so they can flush their toilets.

Glad you are all okay, but it is miserable anyway. All those trees are a real loss! Again, we were close but missed, all within two weeks! Not good for any of us, and as a 'new normal' it's really not so nice. Must get serious about tornado shelter!
We too have a Generac, our 'insurance policy' for extended electrical outages.
Mary

The power was supposed to be back on last night at midnight. Nope. Now they say 11 pm tonight. We're running the (gas) generator a couple times a day for 2-3 hours. So far, the fridge and freezer are keeping food cold.

A 300 year old tree... Oh, that is sad.

We have lots of "volunteer" firewood out there, for next year. DH counted 6-8 trees down. I think because they're in the woods, the wind strength was broken up a bit, so fewer trees were snapped off. There may be more than he originally thought; I think he was just looking at the big ones.

Back
Top Bottom