Mille Cochin Info

Here's my newest babies - They hatched March 24th.

From left to right...
Frizzle Calico/Mille Fleur, Mille Fleur, Buff Columbian, Mille Fleur

Going by feather sexing at 1-2 days old, all 4 are pullets, but... Who knows.​

Too cute! Lots of neat colors. It is always so much fun to watch them grow, mature and "flower" out!
Oh, I believe that the brown one in the middle of the top photo is a boy but the brown one on the last photo is a girl because of the line coming from under her eye. I can't see the side of the head on the top photo brown one but the comb area looks big so i was going by that. Let's pray I am wrong about any being a boy!

GREAT news!

Milroy is fertile! He isn't hitting the spot with much accuracy even after trimming him and his 2 girls, but I have some eggs developing. I had to toss 3 eggs from Amy, so I have 5 in the incubator yet and 10 under Bridgette, my broody BC.

What I don't get is that Byron has a lot more fluff than Milroy and 100% of his and Bridgette's eggs are fertile.

GREAT news!

Milroy is fertile! He isn't hitting the spot with much accuracy even after trimming him and his 2 girls, but I have some eggs developing. I had to toss 3 eggs from Amy, so I have 5 in the incubator yet and 10 under Bridgette, my broody BC.

What I don't get is that Byron has a lot more fluff than Milroy and 100% of his and Bridgette's eggs are fertile.

I am not having any fertile eggs from one of my Mille roos. He is/was fluffier than the other boys. I was suprized how thick his cushion feathers were when I went to pluck him. I now have eggs incubating from after I plucked. So......
fl.gif

I am not having any fertile eggs from one of my Mille roos. He is/was fluffier than the other boys. I was suprized how thick his cushion feathers were when I went to pluck him. I now have eggs incubating from after I plucked. So......
fl.gif

ok i'm curious... if you breed a hen, how soon can you collect fertile eggs from her?

I'm considering using AI with a LF/bantam cross of dorking and oegb to recreate a bantam dorking line since they're practically non-existant, but tho the hen is willing the roo just can't.

If the hen has not been with another roo for a few weeks then the eggs should be fertile within a day or two. If she has been with a different roo then they can stay fertile by that roo for up to 3 weeks, so I have read and heard.

I have 2 pullets that have not given me a fertile egg from any of the 3 roos I have tried. I have plucked and cut until they look like sick puppies but still no fertile eggs. I let one hen go broody and hatch out some Ameraucana chicks in hopes that will help stimulate her system. We shall see. It could be the bloodlines or the person they came from since I just got these girls recently. I am glad to know that what I breed and raise is healthy enough to produce. Birds that have issues have no place on my farm or in my breeding program.

Back
Top Bottom