Minnesota!

Sorry to hear this!  I know how frustrating that stuff is.  Do you have BluKote?  If not, get some.  It is the quickest way to stop pecking on small spots when you can catch them, and it is awesome at helping to heal injuries.  I am in amazement of how much it can do.

Yes, we ran to Runnings and picked some up after I did a bit of research! It worked pretty well, but I didn't realize it would stain like crazy. My hands are purple. Next time I will thoroughly read directions and wear gloves! My oldest got home from school and checked on the chicks right away. Then he came running and said, "Mom, WHAT did you do to the chickens?!?!" I told him that I dyed them for Easter (and then told him the truth, haha).

Yes, we ran to Runnings and picked some up after I did a bit of research! It worked pretty well, but I didn't realize it would stain like crazy. My hands are purple. Next time I will thoroughly read directions and wear gloves! My oldest got home from school and checked on the chicks right away. Then he came running and said, "Mom, WHAT did you do to the chickens?!?!" I told him that I dyed them for Easter (and then told him the truth, haha).

This is what happened last time I had to spray BlueKote on a chicken.

It was a windy day and the chicken was not behaving. LOL :lau Thank goodness it came off with rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:
Nope didn't make me fee good about my hatch.. BUT it makes me sad for you and yours.
It stinks when stuff goes bad..

I did not wash the eggs with anything, I picked clean eggs and moved them to the incubator when I was ready for them. Are you suppose to wash them? Why? What about under a broody?

And I think the 8th chick that we had to help is going to make it. He/she is standing up and walking around, with the piece of egg shell still stuck to his/her head. I think we may have rushed it, but then maybe not. The membrane was heat shrinking, and the egg shell is still stuck to his head. But when we took him out I thought his belly was too full, like the yolk was not absorbed yet. His belly looks less full now.

BUT WOW what a runt. How can a chick that comes out of the same size egg as the rest be half the size of the others?
Thanks, but it is what it is.

It takes the experience of helping some and not helping others, and then figuring out which ones are worth it because they will die anyway. That being said, I still help a few.

I do wash because the state tells me I am supposed to. Plus, I have big incubators on the main floor of my house. Unwashed eggs will stink the place up when I have 50% humidity in there and fans blowing things out. My hatcher is in the basement though so none of the fluff and smell from that blows out up here.
You are right though, hens don't wash their eggs, so why should we. For some it is just a preference. I have a few where the hens are just dummies and lay them in the poop under the roosts and those gotta be washed.

I guess I missed seeing where you finally got your second foamie. I still have one, but it hasn't been turned on yet this year. It is a Little Giant with the fan in it and auto turner. I used it a lot last year to put the bantam eggs in when I got the big ones too full to hold everyone's eggs. I cut back on how many breeds, so I haven't gotten to that point yet and don't think I will. I am setting a limit to 300 eggs going in per week. I haven't hit it yet, but I have come close the last two weeks.
I started with a Hovabator still air. I have that out in the shop to use for parts in making a hatcher to take to the fair and do a week long hatch there and then I sell the chicks on the last day. It is fun, but the one we used to use there is old and in rough shape. I need to finish the new one so that I can have a chance to test it before Summer comes and I forget about it.

I am going to guess that runt chick will die. I don't mean to be a Debby Downer, but that is my experience. I still give them a try if they are getting around and eating okay. If they survive then it means they are tough enough to go on at least for a while. Like I said, there are just things that one figures out through trial and error and then you start to adjust your approach.

Must be the eyelids are hole-free. I need to go and do a night long scan of mine.
have a good night to you late night folks. This chick needs to go to roost.

Oh yeah, gloves! I just get purple hands. It comes off with nail polish remover too, or maybe it is rubbing alcohol?

Maybe it was a bonus chick? You can have your crazy Polish though ;)
I thought so at first, but there were supposed to be 8 of them in my order and there were only 7 and one all white one. And yes, I love my Polish and yes they are crazy. I'm so excited to have some new ones this year. I have silver laced and white crested black chicks right now. I love their mohawks that turn into crazy hair-dos and their silly personalities. I am most excited for my bantam white face black spanish chicks though.

Back
Top Bottom