Mixing Bantam Ducklings with Adult Call Duck Couple

RainForestBird

Songster
Jul 12, 2016
I have five Australian Spotted Ducklings which are a bantam breed. They are about a month old now and have outgrown their bin, jumping out and getting into mischief in the bathroom while I'm sleeping. I put them in a large trough during the day that is lined with shavings and they have access to water and feed all day. I have a year old silver female (medium size for a Call) and a two year old white male call duck (very tiny) . The male is tiny and very docile. He was raised in the house though he stays outside with the female now in an enclosure with a pair of Cayuga ducks.

I was wondering if I could safely put the five ducklings with the Call Duck pair in a run with a small pool during the day. I'd also feed them there - usually Game Bird crumble - 30% protein, and assorted fruits and veggies with chick grit. The call duck pair also have a alfalfa to nibble on during the day. The only danger I can think of is that the female would get cranky with the ducklings. The little male Call Duck never fights with anyone or causes any trouble. He can get out of the enclosure by squeezing under the door but he only does this when the male Cayuga is cranky. I will fix that problem before the ducklings come. I will keep the Cayugas by themselves.

Last edited:
This is one of the little Australian Spotted Ducklings at about 3.5 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_6875.JPG
    IMG_6875.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 11
Okay, as I predicted the female Call was mean to the ducklings. One of the more curious ones came up to her, just a greeting I think and she tried to nip him. Luckily these little ducklings are very fast and he got away. So I put the ducklings in a carrier in the greenhouse where the ducklings were and brought my favorite Ancona hen out and introduced them. She was fine for awhile, kind of skittish, which is unlike her because she's always very friendly with me. But the same little curious duck came up to her to say hello I suppose and she took a swipe at him. I scolded her and brought her sister out, who acted somewhat the same way, just not as fast. She's a much fatter duck and kind of waddly. They behaved themselves after that one swipe so I left them together for about an hour while I put all put everyone away for the night. The ducklings didn't want to go in for the night, but I finally collected them so they could be safe inside their shower stall bed. I turned the light out so I wouldn't have any escapees, because the light seems to keep them up and making trouble. Tomorrow I'll try leaving them with the two Anconas again, but for a little longer than an hour. I've just about had it with my Call Duck hen, she's been really cranky with everyone lately. Ever since we lost her sister (in the photo-Biscuit -RIP and cranky Ginger). I brought a boyfriend home for her (Oscar the white duck) but she barely tolerates him. I was going to get another female but they are hard to come by around here, unless you want a pair. I thought the ducklings would be a nice addition, but Ginger doesn't think so.

Attachments

• 0112171538a.jpg
    0112171538a.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom