My coop design and build blog

Pics
On today's episode of chicken coop/run construction, the theme was "KEEP OUT!"

Im trying to keep predators out and im trying to keep the wind driven snow and rain out.
c1.jpg
img_7812-jpg.3788867
IMG_7814.JPG
IMG_7815.jpg
IMG_7817.JPG
IMG_7817a.JPG
IMG_7820.JPG
IMG_7821.JPG
IMG_7822.JPG
IMG_7825.JPG
IMG_7829.JPG
img_7829a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7812.JPG
    IMG_7812.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 141
With 10"-12" of snow in the forecast Im working indoors today. My "Sweeter Heater" (made not far from where I live) arrived today. It was recommended to me by a member of one of the chicken groups Im in when they saw my red, heat lamp.

This is a no light, radiant heater that hangs just off the floor of the brooder. Chicks huddle below it. The problem I see is that they will want to sit on top as well. I hope to discourage that with a little modification. Ive seen such a pyramid top on a few brooder plates so I made my own. I plugged the unit in for 3 hours and the top does not get hot or even very warm so Ive no concern with my modification.
IMG_7829b.jpg
IMG_7829c.jpg
img_7829d.jpg
IMG_7831.jpg
IMG_7836.jpg
IMG_7838.jpg
IMG_7839.jpg

Rancid Crbtree thank you for sharing. I have picked up some nice ideas from your build that I will use in mine this summer.

If you had to do it over again would you start with the Amazon chicken run, or just build one from scratch?

I have the same style from Amazon, and after the meat chickens are done I planned on using it for the new egg layers chicken run.

My climate is similar to yours with the snow. So reinforcement is absolutely required.

Rancid Crbtree thank you for sharing. I have picked up some nice ideas from your build that I will use in mine this summer.

If you had to do it over again would you start with the Amazon chicken run, or just build one from scratch?

I have the same style from Amazon, and after the meat chickens are done I planned on using it for the new egg layers chicken run.

My climate is similar to yours with the snow. So reinforcement is absolutely required.
No, I would just have built a wooden run but I bought it so long ago, I really had no other use for it.

The coop and run (mainly the run was the biggest "if" ) survived the Blizzard just fine, The sun shade outside curtains sure did a great job with the snow and wind gusts over 30 MPH.

I would have liked to spent the day working on the coop/run/brooder but snow removal took priority. Lots of tree damage with the heavy/wet snow and winds.

The power went out at 9:00 am and as I type this it's, 4:06
p.m. we are still on backup generator power. Thanks fully I have a 18 Kw. hard wired to the house, and either a 12 Kw, 9 Kw, or 6Kw hard wired to the house as well. Its just a matter of which one I roll into position should the Generac fail.

The wind is still howling. Nobody said homesteading on the frozen tundra would be easy but its never dull. There is no bad weather, just poor equipment.

IMG_7863.jpg
IMG_7863a.jpg
IMG_7865.jpg
IMG_7866.jpg
IMG_7867.jpg
IMG_7871.jpg
IMG_7875.jpg
img_7875a.jpg
IMG_7880.jpg
img_7881.jpg

That's a lot of nipples in one bucket. You're probably better of spreading those across 2 or 3 buckets.

Back
Top Bottom