Need help- My goose has trouble walking

I felt his feet and no place feels hard. He did flap his wings around when I picked him up, but he allowed me to place him into the water with ease. He was swimming for at least 10-15 minutes at any given time so I'll have to take a second look at his feet later.

I'll try the Epsom salt remedy you suggested and keep you updated on his progress!
thumbsup.gif
thank you.

thumbsup.gif
thank you.
Hi Miss Lydia,

Thank you for all your advice! It's been extremely helpful to a newcomer like me.

I put my male goose on some antibiotics and he's been significantly improving! He's putting all his weight on both legs, his limping is barely noticeable now. How long do you think I should keep him on antibiotics?

Hi Miss Lydia,

Thank you for all your advice! It's been extremely helpful to a newcomer like me.

I put my male goose on some antibiotics and he's been significantly improving! He's putting all his weight on both legs, his limping is barely noticeable now. How long do you think I should keep him on antibiotics?
Hi Max so good to hear of the big improvements.. Awesome news. as far as the antibiotics depends on which one most say 7-14 days but tell me which one you have him on and I'll see if I can find out for you.

Hi Max so good to hear of the big improvements.. Awesome news. as far as the antibiotics depends on which one most say 7-14 days but tell me which one you have him on and I'll see if I can find out for you.
The packaging says 7 days, but its only been 3 days and he's improved a whole lot. I'm sure that he can make a full recovery in the coming week! Thanks again Lydia.

The packaging says 7 days, but its only been 3 days and he's improved a whole lot. I'm sure that he can make a full recovery in the coming week! Thanks again Lydia.
I'd do the full course Max because sometimes when they improve so much so quick we stop the meds and they relapse, To keep him from having tummy upset from the antibiotic after he finishes the course I'd put him on a probiotic you can find them in most feed stores and they mix in water.

Last edited:
I'd do the full course Max because sometimes when they improve so much so quick we stop the meds and they relapse, To keep him from having tummy upset from the antibiotic after he finishes the course I'd put him on a probiotic you can find them in most feed stores and they mix in water.
Sure thing, I will go out and buy some probiotics for my goose. Thank you for telling me!

Max I am glad you put him on an antibiotic because he must have had something going on with that one foot. On the very back pad I seen a black spot beginning of what bumble foot can do. It starts with a little black spot and then starts getting infection of super hard pus. You can not squeeze the infection out like on us or animals. Geese get that rock hard pus under the foot inside the pads and it can grow like crazy and be very hard to get under control... I am having that trouble with two of my geese a gander and a goose....

Max I am glad you put him on an antibiotic because he must have had something going on with that one foot. On the very back pad I seen a black spot beginning of what bumble foot can do. It starts with a little black spot and then starts getting infection of super hard pus. You can not squeeze the infection out like on us or animals. Geese get that rock hard pus under the foot inside the pads and it can grow like crazy and be very hard to get under control... I am having that trouble with two of my geese a gander and a goose....
Hi RURU,

Yes, I'm glad that I caught it a little early and put him on antibiotics. I'll keep monitoring his foot and see if the black spot goes away/shrinks in size. My gander has little trouble walking in a straight line now, the limping is nearly gone. My goose never had this problem before. Thanks for sharing this advice with me!

P.S. My gander and goose have mated once; My goose laid about two eggs, but isn't laying on them. Does this mean that she won't hatch these eggs?

Back
Top Bottom