Need help once again. Lean to style coop and run

Sorry Just thought of another question.

Should I do metal roofing panels over the coop part too or is that going to collect condensation and "rain" on the chickens when in at night? Would it be better to do plywood and shingles for that part?

@DobieLover @3KillerBs

Last edited:
anyone on the metal roof for the coop part of it? is it going to sweat and drip down on the chickens? @aart @Ridgerunner

and technically I would need 3 "side" walls right? since it will be the run and coop under one roof. So would need 1 for each side of coop then end one for the end of the run? Also should I put a support beam or something in the run part since it will be either 14' or 16' (need to measure the spot the coop is going and see how long the run can/should be). but it is only 6" wide with slope going down the 6' section.

anyone on the metal roof for the coop part of it? is it going to sweat and drip down on the chickens? @aart @Ridgerunner

and technically I would need 3 "side" walls right? since it will be the run and coop under one roof. So would need 1 for each side of coop then end one for the end of the run? Also should I put a support beam or something in the run part since it will be either 14' or 16' (need to measure the spot the coop is going and see how long the run can/should be). but it is only 6" wide with slope going down the 6' section.
Yes, metal roofs can gather condensation, when the metal is cold and the air in the coop is warm and humid.

It would really help to see some pics of existing coop/run and sketches of how/where you propose to expand.

anyone on the metal roof for the coop part of it? is it going to sweat and drip down on the chickens?
If the weather conditions are right. When I was in Arkansas I had a coop with a metal roof and in the spring I would get condensation dripping down. Only in the spring. The water would run along the bottom of the metal until it hit some bump or something to cause it to accumulate and then it would drip down. With my deep very dry bedding and loads of ventilation it never got wet enough to cause a problem, but in some coops I could see that being a problem.

I have never used them but you can get some products that attach under the metal and stop this condensation. I'm not talking about what you do when building your house, but for barns, sheds, and such. Or you can use a non-metal roof.

Yes, metal roofs can gather condensation, when the metal is cold and the air in the coop is warm and humid.

It would really help to see some pics of existing coop/run and sketches of how/where you propose to expand.
I will post some pics of my existing coop. And post my horrible sketch for what I plan to do. It is more just a box drawing since I am not good at sketching up anything especially with a lean to style. :)

Here are some pics of my existing set up when we were completing the build. And my horrible drawing of new build. The tree/large stump needs to be trimmed down and will be inside the run with coop on that end. The roofline for new one is going to tuck under existing one so hopefully water drains onto new roof and drains off. The 6' is the width of it.

Hopefully this helps some. @aart @Ridgerunner

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_163344378.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163344378.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210524_163332590.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163332590.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210713_142610481_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210713_142610481_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210808_150146067.jpg
    IMG_20210808_150146067.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230415_104456731.jpg
    IMG_20230415_104456731.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
ok now getting nervous on what is required and other parts needed etc. I am trying to build it as easy and cost effective as possible. Was thinking metal roof would be easier and cheaper but now I am not so sure. I am thinking of going with a plywood roof. The plywood itself is cheaper than the metal panels, we don't need the purlins and I think we have enough shingles for it.

What would you do if it was your build? I was already thinking of doing a plywood roof on the coop so there wasn't any condensation dripping on them.

I have metal roofs on both my coops here in CT & have never had any condensation, but I have good ventilation up high.

I have metal roofs on both my coops here in CT & have never had any condensation, but I have good ventilation up high.
Thank you. I would have a 2'x 6' on one end then it would go down in a triangle on both sides. So lots of ventilation

I would have a 2'x 6' on one end then it would go down in a triangle on both sides. So lots of ventilation
I wouldn't cut the angle too sharp, you want as much space as possible where the rafter meets the wall for soffit ventilation..with a good 18" of overhand beyond wall, then add a fascia to help block the wind.

Back
Top Bottom