¼ cup butter
¼ cup Kahlua
¼ tsp salt
2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup nuts (optional)

Line an 8 inch square pan with foil

In a 2 quart sauce pan combine sugar, marshmallow crème, evaporated milk, butter and Kahlua. Bring to a rapid boil. Stir constantly and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in all of the chocolate. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Pour into the foil-lined pan and refrigerate until hardened.

A friend of ours gave us candied walnuts last year and I've had them on my mind ever since! I'll be making them this year to include in my gift baskets (and for my own personal stash!). I haven't decided on which recipe I'm using yet, but here's one that I'm considering...

Candied Walnuts

1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp milk
5-6 cups walnuts, halves

Put sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and milk in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to stir at a low boil for 1 minute.

Place walnuts in a large bowl. Slowly pour sugar mixture over the nuts. Stir until the walnuts are completely covered and mixture begins to "sugar".

Place on a sheet of wax paper and allow to dry and harden fully. If stored in an air-tight container, the walnuts should last a good long while.

I do a soup mix in a nice cellophane bag. I figure there is so much sweet stuff at Christmas and not enough time, so if folks can dump a mix in a pan with water they'll save some time for other things! We get good reviews, but it is hard to tell if folks are just being nice. It has lentils, barley, rice, and a few other things that cook in less than an hour with no soaking, plus all the spices and even bullion. I would not eat it every night, but it is a nice convenience food.

Toffee
this is pretty easy, but you do need a very good thermometer..

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoon water

bring to boil, stirring constantly
after brought to boil, stick in candy thermometer and stir occasionally
when reaches 290*, remove from heat.
foil and butter a 13 x 9 pan, pour toffee into pan.spread evenly
let cool a couple of minutes and then put
1/2 cup chocolate chips,
1/2 cup white chocolate chips on top of hot toffee
wait a few minutes till they start to melt, and then swirl into a pretty pattern on top.
refrigerate till hard, and then break into small pieces.
I usually package in a small container with a bow on top

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom