new research debunks trad views on nutrition

According to Tim Spector, Food for Life: the new science of eating well, Jonathan Cape 2022: xiv
Myths that have benefited the food industry and which we should now dispel include: all calories are equal, low-calorie foods are good, high-fat foods are bad, artificial sweeteners are healthy, high levels of processing are harmless, and food and vitamin supplements are as good as real food.

Spector is Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at King's College London, and honorary consultant physician at Guy's and St Thomas' hospitals. These are all world class institutions. He is writing about human diet and nutrition, but much of it applies to chicken diet and nutrition too.

For example, that UPFs (ultra processed foods) made up of many chemicals make us feel hungrier, over-consume, and increase risks of disease and earlier death. This applies to chicken feed pellets, which are specifically designed to achieve the first two, and don't care about the last two because the chickens that they are designed for are not intended or expected to live very long.

I do not expect those BYCers who trot out their tired dogmas on food, feeds, and fats, at any and every opportunity, to stop doing it, but their views are now being labelled as myths by people who really know what they're talking about, and have extensive evidence to prove it.

And the chicken feed industry is catching up with the human feed industry on these matters, so attempting to dismiss it as irrelevant won't wash either.
Edited to add: see e.g. the paper quoted in post #412 below.
Makes good sense. A prime example in human consumables is the frozen vegan food industry- a pure oxymoron of healthy food.

The feed industry does not exist to first benefit the health of the animal over a healthy bottom line.

I appreciate you posting the article reference.

I need to buy oil for cooking. Mostly I have Extra Virgin Olive Oil but I have started using a wok and that gets to much higher temperatures and I believe my olive oil isn’t good for that (something about breaking down in high heat).
I have been reading about different oils and am bewildered!
Avocado oil seems to have the fewest bad effects apart from to the health of your wallet.
Has anyone seen any science based review that would help me make an intelligent choice?
Failing that, some recommendations with rationale.
Perris - hope you don’t mind me asking this here.

I need to buy oil for cooking. Mostly I have Extra Virgin Olive Oil but I have started using a wok and that gets to much higher temperatures and I believe my olive oil isn’t good for that (something about breaking down in high heat).
I have been reading about different oils and am bewildered!
Avocado oil seems to have the fewest bad effects apart from to the health of your wallet.
Has anyone seen any science based review that would help me make an intelligent choice?
Failing that, some recommendations with rationale.
Perris - hope you don’t mind me asking this here.
Safflower oil or highly refined (extra light) olive oil. Season your wok properly, and use very little oil.

The point is, your wok should be blazes hot - meaning you have almost no available choices in oils - so you want to use as little as possible of whatever oil you choose - because smoked oil is not only NOT good eat, but the chemicals made when oil smokes are known to the State of California to cause cancer (prop 42 warning). Your concern isn't so much using "good oil" (in terms of omega 3s, etc) as it is in avoiding making bad oil.

Get the highest smoke point oil you can. Refined avocado oil or safflower are basically it. Extra light olive oil can't take quite the temp, but is next best in the readily available off the shelf supermarket options. After that, and about 10-15 degrees less heat tolerant, are light olive, peanut, corn, clarified butter (WAY WAY too expensive to fry with), soybean oil.

and no matter what you choose, you will use too much of it if your wok isn't seasoned properly - you should need something like a teaspoon to a tablespoon of oil, total, to make servings for 4-6.

Safflower oil or highly refined (extra light) olive oil. Season your wok properly, and use very little oil.

The point is, your wok should be blazes hot - meaning you have almost no available choices in oils - so you want to use as little as possible of whatever oil you choose - because smoked oil is not only NOT good eat, but the chemicals made when oil smokes are known to the State of California to cause cancer (prop 42 warning). Your concern isn't so much using "good oil" (in terms of omega 3s, etc) as it is in avoiding making bad oil.

Get the highest smoke point oil you can. Refined avocado oil or safflower are basically it. Extra light olive oil can't take quite the temp, but is next best in the readily available off the shelf supermarket options. After that, and about 10-15 degrees less heat tolerant, are light olive, peanut, corn, clarified butter (WAY WAY too expensive to fry with), soybean oil.

and no matter what you choose, you will use too much of it if your wok isn't seasoned properly - you should need something like a teaspoon to a tablespoon of oil, total, to make servings for 4-6.
YES! Thank you so much.
My wok is beautifully seasoned - it took me the best part of three days baking it with a very thin film of flax seed oil, over and over again.
And yes - I use very, very little oil - it is one of the reasons I am enjoying using it so much - you can make really tasty food with very little added fat. I am currently addicted to cabbage done in the wok with soy sauce and rice vinegar.
And yes, I was struggling to articulate the need and you got it perfectly - I don't need a 'healthy oil' so much as I need one that won't become unhealthy at high temperatures.

Refined avocado oil, refined safflower oil are at the top of the list. I am pretty sure I can find either of those.
Thank you so much @U_Stormcrow you are a font of knowledge - I am so grateful.

YES! Thank you so much.
My wok is beautifully seasoned - it took me the best part of three days baking it with a very thin film of flax seed oil, over and over again.
And yes - I use very, very little oil - it is one of the reasons I am enjoying using it so much - you can make really tasty food with very little added fat. I am currently addicted to cabbage done in the wok with soy sauce and rice vinegar.
And yes, I was struggling to articulate the need and you got it perfectly - I don't need a 'healthy oil' so much as I need one that won't become unhealthy at high temperatures.

Refined avocado oil, refined safflower oil are at the top of the list. I am pretty sure I can find either of those.
Thank you so much @U_Stormcrow you are a font of knowledge - I am so grateful.
Meh. I cook. and recently damaged the cure on my wok. :(

Back
Top Bottom