NPIP certified? If not why?

wilkey44

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
Central Oklahoma
I kinda wonder why more people's flocks aren't NPIP certified. Here in Oklahoma it cost $5 to become a certified flock and for $5 i get a health test done on my flock every year if I have a dead bird the department of Ag will come out and pick up the bird or chick and have an necropsy done at no cost to me and people will know that when I sell Pullets or eggs to them its from a healthy stock

Here in Oklahoma they test your whole flock up to 300 birds each year for the first 5 years.

Here is my thought about this after reading the posts the reason I got certified so I could widen my sales opportunities if chick/eggs needed to be certified and getting birds from NPIP cert farms to me is not that big of a deal plus I get free advertisment from the state department of Ag.

The more people that sign up the better the testing will get and cover more tests in the future lets face it back yard chickens are one of the fastest growing business in the US

As a NPIP cert hatchery I can still incubate/brood non-NPIP eggs for people and I can buy non-NPIP bird as long as I have them Seperated from my NPIP stock until the next years testing. so if I want to add Quail or turkeys ect.... I just have to set up a different coop and run for them away from the cert. flock

Last edited:
I'm not, mainly because it doesn't normally test for anything that is common today, like CRD, etc, only pullorum, typhoid, and sometimes AI. It was a government program established to protect the food supply, not necessarily for backyard flock owners. IMO, it gives a false sense of security to both buyer and seller since a flock may be exposed to and contract something right after testing. It guarantees nothing, really. I keep hearing that folks think NPIP means your flock is disease free and that simply isn't true.

All that said, I don't necessarily have anything against it, however, it's not really something that I feel is overly beneficial for backyard flocks unless you have them test every few months for mycoplasmosis or something much more common than pullorum/typhoid. People who have bought birds from me have had them tested (for mycoplasmosis as well as the usual stuff and they paid extra for it) and they came out clean so I have no plans to become NPIP certified at this time.

You said:

people will know that when I sell Pullets or eggs to them its from a healthy stock

That is not necessarily true, sorry.​

In Washington it costs $75.00 an hour for the State Vet to come out to your house starting from the time they leave his/her office. My vet is in Pullman, which is about two hours from me.

You also have to pay their per diem for the day and around $30.00 for the testing.

I have actually been able to talk them into letting me have a certified vet tech draw my blood and send it to the State lab for testing. I still have to pay the tech and the testing fees. The State Vet comes over anyway four times a year to do AI testing, so he does the site inspection at that time for free.

So it really costs me around $100.00 for the testing for the labor, testing fees and the supplies. If someone were not able to do it the way I do, I would imagine it costs around $200.00+.

I wish I only had to pay $5.00............................

ETA: It is necessary to be certified if you want to legally ship eggs, chicks or started birds into most States.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

In Washington it costs $75.00 an hour for the State Vet to come out to your house starting from the time they leave his/her office. My vet is in Pullman, which is about two hours from me.

You also have to pay their per diem for the day and around $30.00 for the testing.

I have actually been able to talk them into letting me have a certified vet tech draw my blood and send it to the State lab for testing. I still have to pay the tech and the testing fees. The State Vet comes over anyway four times a year to do AI testing, so he does the site inspection at that time for free.

So it really costs me around $100.00 for the testing for the labor, testing fees and the supplies. If someone were not able to do it the way I do, I would imagine it costs around $200.00+.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I'd love to be NPIP certified, but it takes a lot of pestering, contacting, and a lot of money.

If it only cost $5, there would be a LOT of NPIP certified people around. . . Also consider, you're in Oklahoma. That's probably the most populous state of poultry breeders out there!
wink.png
So even if it was actually $5, that would explain why.​

pips&peeps :

ETA: It is necessary to be certified if you want to legally ship eggs, chicks or started birds into most States.

People in our local 4H are certified to test, so it's pretty cheap for us too. I guess it really depends on what you have available.​

Quote:
People in our local 4H are certified to test, so it's pretty cheap for us too. I guess it really depends on what you have available.

They won't let us become certified testers. They used some excuse that we wouldn't report our friends sick birds..... like I'm going to let someone slide if they had pullorum.
he.gif

pips&peeps :

Quote:
People in our local 4H are certified to test, so it's pretty cheap for us too. I guess it really depends on what you have available.

They won't let us become certified testers. They used some excuse that we wouldn't report our friends sick birds..... like I'm going to let someone slide if they had pullorum.
he.gif

That really stinks. My mom's going to become certified this spring so we can test our own flock.

Here it is $.10 per bird with a $5 minimum. They test all for Pullo/thyp and 30 random birds are tested for AI. To maintain AI clean status they have to test every 6 months.

That said, I am NOT NPIP certified. I was NPIP years ago when I only had 20-30 birds, but I was never checked at a sale and no one ever asked. The few birds I show are tested at the shows, but that is it. I do not go out of state. I don't ship eggs anymore and don't have the heart to ship a live bird. The few birds I sell are at shows and if someone needs a tested bird I always get to shows early and can have them tested there.

Matt

I am not and it is mostly because time is hard to figure out the time to pull it off. I don't think it is that expensive here in MO. I do dislike that it is run by the USDA. I DO NOT think the USDA has small farms best interest at heart!

Just my opinion.

I will likely become NPIP eventually though.

Back
Top Bottom