NPIP certified? If not why?

Quote:
That is a logical reason not to get certified.

Also a market for eggs and birds says NPIP certifed eggs and birds have no adventage (pricewise) over noncertified poultry.

Markets are always right.

I do not trust Government on any level, so I pass. Our Government , not the people is a cause of US going down the drain and US Government should be held responsible for suffering of millions of our honest and hardworking citizens and families losing their jobs, homes and hope.

Currently millions of fellow Americans are victims of Government criminal irresponsibility, corruption and tyrrany.

My birds are healthy and happy cause I take good care of them and paying close attention to any new aquisitions keeps my flock free of desease so far.

Buing stock from NPIP "certified" party is no way any guarantee the birds are free of desease.

Sorry the goverment got in this to stop , people from selling sick birds and spreading it across the land. NPIP only test for 3 ,

Just think going to auction and show , yes alot of sick birds can be seen for sale, NPIP may not stop all, but if they see sick birds in your flock, they are to report them.

Yes we need the goverment to police the small flock owers sell birds or eggs too....IMO

Sick or not, it is buyer's beware. You would take chances even they are NPIP but still, you would get diseases that it would not pop up until a couple of weeks later.

Spotting sick birds at shows or auctions are a good place to cull out or tell their owners, they must remove their sick birds from the premises. It would be a huge favor for the exhibitors.

Common sense and good judgement prevails.

Last edited:
I know its been awhile since the last post on here but wanted to add this:

I was just NPIP certified on Wed here in OK. Its a $5 regardless of how many birds you have to test and the test about half of them for AI (avian infuenza) with the swab down the throat. You are not restricted to buy ONLY NPIP birds once being certified either. They do suggest and recommend that if you do buy a bird that has not been tested you get it tested and keep it quarantined for at least 30 days before releasing it into your flock. That to me though is just common sense on any new birds brought in. I am also going to be taking the class to be a certified tester also. I figure its only a half a day for the class but whether I want to test for the state or not I can test any of my own new birds as they come in. Also with being NPIP certified you only have to get your birds tested once a year instead of every 90 days. We show birds and it is so much easier this way versus having to have them stuck every few months to enter into a show. The NPIP ertificate is also good nationwide which means I do not need to have any birds avian vet checked if I travel with any to another state. As long as you have your card with you you are all good to go.

I am not nor will I ever be NPIP certified. I've never had an issue and will keep on keeping on. Personally, I think its a bunch of crock. Another gov't scheme for $$$ (like requiring a gun carry permit, My Permit is US Constitution II Amendment Issued 1787 no expiration date) Sorry but have no interest in whether or not a bird or breeder is NPIP. I am more interested in standards and lineage for a pure flock.

We are moving so in order to take my birds along I needed the right paperwork in case we get stopped along the way. I've had my flock for a few years and this was the first time I've had my birds NPIP certified. It made me realize I should have done this sooner. Georgia also tests for MG and MS as an above and beyond the NPIP, but doesn't prevent the NPIP cert if one or both MS and MG come up positive. It's a nice to know and certainly MG needs to be avoided.

So in addition to knowing you're buying from NPIP flock, you also should ask if they've ever been tested for MG/MS This is not a required test but if your birds are negative for MG, do NOT buy birds that have MG! Or birds that have not been tested for it! It is NOT something you want in your flock.

My flock testing for 31 birds which included 2 geese, 4 slikies, and the rest LF chickens, was $18.85. I can't see this as a money maker LOL. The tester who came out was located 2 hours away and came to test 30 birds. I really wish people would get off the believe the goverment is making money on this. LOL They do it to protect the health of the food supply.

I may not sell to people who are not NPIP certified. If they don't take their flocks health seriously, do I really want my birds going there? NPIP testing made me a believer in the process.

Last edited:
Are there risks to testing if your flock is positive for one of the diseases that NPIP looks for? I free range, have a closed flock and live in Tyson country. Can my flock be culled?

I would like to become NPIP certified. I live in Northeast PA. How should I prepare? Also, what are they looking for as far as inspecting my premises? I am a small flock owner and breed Seramas right from my home. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom