Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I know very little about Shamo. Could some of you give me a simple description. For example the standard of perfection tells me the average weight but doesnt say anything about how tall. I understand they are suppose to be vertical but what would the average height be for a 11 pound shamo be? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

It would depend on the line or strain you are speaking about and how vertical that particular line/strain is.

We in the South have known S.Chung (not necessarily personally) and her birds for years.

Gallo,

As I have read, the Thai, specifically the PHD, were imported to Japan early in the 16th century. That’s close to 300 yrs of careful, intense and meticulous selection. Which is why, I (me personally) don’t feel that Shamo should not look like Thai's and vice versus. But to each his own, everyone is entitled to their opinions, likes, tastes and preferences. As I have mentioned, every bird has a value and that value lays with the caretaker of that fowl.

Honestly, I enjoy going out to my yard looking at my Thai’s, Shamo, Ganio, Asil and Shamo and seeing their distinct differences, knowing their individual styles, brought about by hundreds of, or thousands with the Asil, years of careful, selective and intentional breeding, not only for their appearances but form, function and style.

Anyways, I like pictures....

Shamo:

Thai:
PHD

LHK

I know hatchery stock is not true pure. my Q is what do you true pure breeders of shamo and cubalayas think of sandhill? im thinking about getting some shamo and cubalayas from them this year. as well as sumatra and others. i kno someone got some krainekoppes from them last year. lets hear your input! i dont want to get something thats not going to be what i want!

You can get cubalayas from Sandhill, just don't get the whites unless you want to spend a lot more time getting them right. There's three of us cubalaya breeders that are working with whites that came from Sandhill and we battle a lot with yellow and slate legs, combs that are too large and tails that are off. Don't get me wrong though because we are making progress.

You can get cubalayas from Sandhill, just don't get the whites unless you want to spend a lot more time getting them right. There's three of us cubalaya breeders that are working with whites that came from Sandhill and we battle a lot with yellow and slate legs, combs that are too large and tails that are off. Don't get me wrong though because we are making progress.
i was thinking the bbr and red pyle? do the red pyles give good color and type or have you not worked with those yet?

Sarge,
#1) I would not agree that all hatchery stock is unpure, whatever that means. Depends on what breed, what hatchery, etc. I will say that most hatchery stock is selected along the lines of quantity over quality, and not always bred with an eye to the breed standard. Does not mean the stock is crossed, although in some cases, it may be.
#2) As for Sandhill, the Shamo they have LOOK LIKE shamo to my eye. A heavier bodied shamo for sure, but a definite version of shamo. It all depends what you want them for , as to if they are worth ordering. Their Shamo are 10x better than the "shamo" Ideal sells, I can tell you that. Their cubalaya are variable, but on the whole, much larger and more productive birds than what any other hatchery sells. I'd say the BB Reds are by far the best, the other colors will give more off types, some good ones, sure, but still the BB Reds are the best. The pyles I've seen had some of the same issues as JAT described for the white, since pyles are often bred from whites.

As to what I said earlier about Thai vs Shamo, I think that I misunderstood the question being asked, and, my answer was also misunderstood. I wish at times we could all talk face to face, would probably be better. I'll let the experts take it from here.

Back
Top Bottom