Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I always thought the "Chicken Folks" were a bit off.....lol
IMO most chicken folks = little off, chicken rescue = way off. I am all for dog and cat adoption but short of some old valued line best way to rescue a chicken is a good recipe
droolin.gif

First the sick one was an option then when I said he's to sick for me to care for she went crazy and saying she would only adopt them out together. She lives in the middle of Minneapolis and has 20 roosters in her house pretty sure that's illegal....I have thought about bantams but not sure what breed, heard about shamos fighting as soon as they hatch and I don't think I can handle that lol what's a game bird that isn't to gamey?
There are no gamefowl that aren't "Too gamey". They are either game or they are not
smile.png
That being said though, there are gamefowl that mature at different rates. I think you will find Shamo, especially in the US, will be the least aggressive of the three main types commonly mentioned (Asil, Thai, Shamo). Jim Zook's line takes about 15-16 months to mature and even then will never be fully game in my experience/some others; the cocks may eventually even be able to run together in a large enclosure if handled correctly.. Julia Keeling's line matures a little earlier to my knowledge depending upon the bird, around 12-15 months I believe though someone like Walt or others who have her line could correct me.

Personally I'm kind of curious what kind of chicken disease would require numerous vet check ups and shots? Every disease I've seen for poultry either killed them, they got over it, or was incurable and the best method was to pull their heads off. If it is the last option you don't want the bird anyway, as most of those diseases will spread throughout the flock if he is as sick as she leads on.

I second the bantam Orientals though if you want game-like birds that aren't too big or too troublesome. Maybe even OEGB is you want bankiva type fowl.

God bless,
Daniel.

There are no gamefowl that aren't "Too gamey". They are either game or they are not :)   That being said though, there are gamefowl that mature at different rates. I think you will find Shamo, especially in the US, will be the least aggressive of the three main types commonly mentioned (Asil, Thai, Shamo). Jim Zook's line takes about 15-16 months to mature and even then will never be fully game in my experience/some others; the cocks may eventually even be able to run together in a large enclosure if handled correctly.. Julia Keeling's line matures a little earlier to my knowledge depending upon the bird, around 12-15 months I believe though someone like Walt or others who have her line could correct me.

Personally I'm kind of curious what kind of chicken disease would require numerous vet check ups and shots? Every disease I've seen for poultry either killed them, they got over it, or was incurable and the best method was to pull their heads off. If it is the last option you don't want the bird anyway, as most of those diseases will spread throughout the flock if he is as sick as she leads on. 

I second the bantam Orientals though if you want game-like birds that aren't too big or too troublesome. Maybe even OEGB is you want bankiva type fowl.

God bless,
Daniel. 
I guess he has a suppressed immune system from a lack of nutrients from his mother and when he was a chick so every day he needs Healx booster and every week he needs a doxycycline and a immunoregain injection.

At first she told me he was really sick and needed medication. I told her I wouldn't take that risk with my flock and she had a flip out and sent me 3 emails about his condition and treatment and how much she hated backyard breeders....and blah blah blah...she wasn't happy...

Back
Top Bottom