Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

There are non-game breeds on BYC that I kept without any problems in flock set-up that others say are murderous chickens and they will never have again, having kept some of those breeds I believe they require space & too many where confined together in close quarters for their personality type and then they killed each other to create space. The deal is you have to know the needs of the breed. By keeping so many different breeds years ago I learned IQ, instincts, and behaviors vary from breed to breed, I also learned I liked birds with spunk & attitude more so then the "lights are on but nobody home" breeds.

I think you have to know your individual birds to decide best how to keep. Just because a breed is a game breed that does not mean you will have more problems in behavior than a non-game breed and can not keep them as a flock. It really depends on how they are raised and how your flock is set up.

So I guess my point is any breed can become aggressive or be aggressive, but often it is artificial conditions or a lack of understanding chicken behavior by a keeper that brings that aggression out with deadly results. My guess is the owner of the Aussies knows how much space they need & how to set up a harmonious flock for that breed.
smile.png

Why didn't the Aussies kill each other.

As I said earlier in this thread, a young fox got into a pen of Aussies, and when the owner opened the pen up the next day he found a dead fox, with no eyes.

4 relz

As you said the fox got into a Pen of Aussies. I have no orientals that can be put together in a pen and expect them all to be alive after after a few minutes. A fox can easily take out a pen of any kind of chickens unless the fox was a week old and the implication was that this happened at night. I call it a "good story" but untrue. Chickens don't do well with predators at night...especially at night.

w.

When I went down to tend to the birds this morning I found a escapee, this little Shamo X Tuzo Peep broke out sometime between last night and this morning and was in running with Grand Pa. He`s patient with the youngsters.

As you said the fox got into a Pen of Aussies. I have no orientals that can be put together in a pen and expect them all to be alive after after a few minutes. A fox can easily take out a pen of any kind of chickens unless the fox was a week old and the implication was that this happened at night. I call it a "good story" but untrue. Chickens don't do well with predators at night...especially at night.

w.

When did I say 'at night'? Correct me if I am wrong. Sure, I said 'he checked it the next day', doesn't mean the fox got in at night. Could have been any other time after he checked the pen.

You don't have any orientals that can be put together? How on earth do you breed? All my orientals have Rooster + a number of hens.

Sure, the fox probably wasn't an adult, but it wasn't an infant.

You don't have any orientals that can be put together? How on earth do you breed? All my orientals have Rooster + a number of hens.

I have to separate my youngsters at a early age or loose them and I can`t keep my hens together. I have a Mother and Daughter that tolerated each other for a short time in a 10' X 6' pen but that didn`t last long, they are now separated and will never co-habitat again .

One of my Youngster after a pen fight with a sibling.

I have to separate my youngsters at a early age or loose them and I can`t keep my hens together. I have a Mother and Daughter that tolerated each other for a short time in a 10' X 6' pen but that didn`t last long, they are now separated and will never co-habitat again . One of my Youngster after a pen fight with a sibling.
That sucks!! I kept 5 Malay X Aussie birds together until they were about 9 months old (at least). Just sold them. The remaining Malay X Aussie I couldn't get rid of free ranges with my Aseels (until I get rid of him). Sure, they aren't best friends, but they don't kill each other. I think a lot of it would be about space, and a lot of it would be if they were chicks together and grew up together. My Malay, Malay x Aussie and my Aseels don't tolerate new cocks on the property though. The Guinea Fowl even got in to visit the Malay and started a death match we had to split up.

I have to separate my youngsters at a early age or loose them and I can`t keep my hens together. I have a Mother and Daughter that tolerated each other for a short time in a 10' X 6' pen but that didn`t last long, they are now separated and will never co-habitat again .

One of my Youngster after a pen fight with a sibling.

I have the same experience you have. My Asils start killing each other at about 4 weeks and they don't care if they are male or females...my Shamo's start that at about 6 weeks. I doh't know what these other guys are raising, but I have had Orientals for over 35 years and I can't keep a pen of them....sometimes the females are even worse than the males. I keep two birds in 4' X 8' pens

Walt

Last edited:
Probably not real Orientals. I have the same experience with my Asils. They will kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom