Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

If you just have a few chickens as a hobby, and aren't used to dealing with gamefowl, wouldn't recommend them. If you get quality fowl, both the hens and cocks will cause you problems. Also, different breed makes no difference when it comes to fighting problems, especially if penned together where the other bird can't get away from it. The hens can be just as bad as the cocks too.
Ditto. Females, even if hatched and raised together, sometimes fight .ike cocks and then, when you asked about egg production, I forgot to mention they are broody quite often.........Pop

Ditto. Females, even if hatched and raised together, sometimes fight .ike cocks and then, when you asked about egg production, I forgot to mention they are broody quite often.........Pop
Ditto as well. My Malgache hen will tolerate other hens that she was raised together with until she has chicks at her side. Then, she will attempt to kill any other hens that go broody, and if they have any chicks, she will kill the ones that she can't steal. She once chased a broody hen off of her nest and proceeded to trash her nest with eggs that had just pipped. On the other hand, my Malgache allows me to handle her eggs and chicks without any signs of aggression towards me.

Last edited:
I found a breeder of shamo and thai about an hour away from me. I'm going to go see his birds. Are there any well known breeders from florida? Because thats were he gets his line from.

I have an asil hen that was setting a nest under a cedar tree. Yesterday the neighbors dog (great pyrenees) snuck in, grabbed her, plucked her entire back and tail bald, put several good sized holes in her, scraped her up bad, and made it about a hundred yards with her. I came out of the house just in time, heard her squawking, and ran the dog til he dropped her. Ten minutes later, she was back on her eggs, bald and bloody. Now THAT is broody.

WOW, thought GP weren't supposed to do things like tha, lol. Anyway, no advice on which breed I should go with? Either shamo or thailand. I know alot of it is personal preferance, but I figure that there are some pros and cons to wheigh between the two breeds that I may not be aware of. for example, I don't want asil because of how long they take to mature.

Thanks,

LOL! Sounds to me like you need to do more research as large breeds like Shamo and Thai take much longer than Asil to mature.

Reza sized asil are typically fully mature when they come into their second feather. Larger birds may look mature by then, but may need another feather to come into their prime.

Back
Top Bottom