Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Cuda, this is a good discussion, one normally found on another dedicated sites, so I will happily entertain and perpetuate the discussion and share what I know and understand based on my conversations with long time Middle Eastern and Western breeders and personal research. I will question the foundation that formulates your opinions as they seem to be a little misguided or narrow as I will point out. Again, Cuda, this is not an attack on you but rather a dissection of the pillars that make up your opinion regarding what an Asil should look like, simply because you brought up some good points.

I want to help others understand that Asils are not stamped replicas of one another, like say American Games strive to be, even within their respected countries, regions, cities and towns. So to try and “box in” an Asils is a disservice to the amazingly diverse and ancient breed. In other words, there are Asils in the Middle East that look like Shamo, Ganoi, Thai, Puerto Rican Rajah Murghs, South American Reza, Rampuri, etc. So, again, I would like to see what in your opinion typifies an Asil or North Indian?

To your point, it would appear that the NI that you are familiar with, by way of (?), are a larger blocker, Reza heart shaped fowl as perpetuated by Mr. Merchant; which is understandable as I know many others that are in your camp. But those are hardly the only type found in the little area called North India.

You are also spot on, in that this line of Asils are “aseele” in every sense of the word. The 5yr old brood cock posted earlier, purchased by a friend, is a blinker and didn’t get to that way, or live that long, by playing darts. This line was brought in about 20 yrs ago and infused with two other stand-up type Indian lines, by way of pullets, to freshen up their line.

Regarding your the white earlobe theory, interestingly enough if you get a chance to research many of the Indian Asil forums, blogs and facebook pages and you study them you will see, if your looking for it, that there are quite a few white lobe Asils to be found in India, Pakistan, Afganistan and surrounding regions. (EYE CANDY PROVIDED BELOW) I have even seen it on Bihangam type Asils. It’s my understanding that, much like the red pigmentation found in the legs of some OG breeds, it is sign of vitality and is highly sought after. So I question your foundation on this theory?

First, you know that the breed we know as Maylay’s are not game, were created for feather shows, and an even newer breed than Shamo, but do have roots in the ancient Asil line. I think, the comb type is what is throwing you off? Because the birds station, head shape, the lines and attitude are hardly Maylay in type, form or function; perhaps, one could say his head has more of a Southern Indian influence. If you study the cocks and hen I don’t see how someone, versed in OG, would think Maylay.

Also, I believe you have seen my O-Shamo and my Flat Comb Ganoi that have cushion type or low lying combs. Obviously, I like that look and don’t care for the tall bloated looking combs. This is only one aspect I included during my selection process but it was included as I want to incorporate that aspect into my birds, as I think the breeders before me did too. I don’t think you would say they have a Maylay influence simply because of the comb type the breeders chose to perpetuate or that the Bihangam has Bankiva fowl because of its straight comb, right?

You know, as well as I do, that what an Asil should look like is in the eye of the beholder/breeder as long as the foundation is Asil. Anyway, this is a great discussion for this thread and site!

WHITE EAR LOBE EYE CANDY:

Well, there are so many flaws with your reasoning, I don't know where to start, (especially with my obvious bias and limited scope...) so I won't.

Paulo, on the white ears; is that the same stag in all of those photos? In the first photograph it doesn't appear he is white eared but rather red eared, yet I do notice in the next two it looks white eared. I guess what I am asking is, does the ear coloration change? I have noticed one of the oddest things I have ever seen in the Kraienköppe since raising them (I've been around a lot of breeds; bankiva games, Oriental, fluffies, etc. I have never seen this characteristic in any of them), I can look at a cockerel and his earlobe will look solid red at first but once I pick the bird up it turns a white looking color sometimes (Not exactly pale, I mean actually white). They all appear to do that sometimes, especially when frightened a little (tends to make judging pullets who's earlobes are still pale for culling out the wrong earlobe color difficult).

Other than that, I thought it may just be the camera playing a effect. I've seen camera's sometimes make red earlobed birds look like they have white in their earlobes. I share your opinion on the cushion combs, not a big fan of the large pea combs or anything either.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
North Indian Stag:

I would definitely breed away from the white earlobe, call them what you want, according to Calcutta asil club standards, asils should always have red face and lobes and pea or triple comb. Nice looking birds though would of been great to use them to reinvigorate the malays we used to raise (minus the lobe of course but that could of been bred out). Heck some would argue that malays are nothing more than a type of asil, just not the pedigreed type.

Malaypair.jpg

Lol...the lobes, the lobes, the lobes will change color. See the brood cock above. See, no white lobes...lol. The older 8 month olds on the gentlemens place had faint white on their lobes.

@ DT: They are all of the same stag (4-5month old). This line of NI Asils lobes change color with maturity: the whitish gives way to red. The little guy doesnt even have is adult tail feathers in.

@ Prarie: If anything, they might add some kick to your Malay sauce. I am aware of the CAC standards but no where does it state, "at all stages of development." Anyway, check out the bird called "Golden Sun", under the Calcutta Aseel Photos link. He has some reminents of white in the upper part of his lobes.

I know its something new for most, it was for me too. But they, the trio, were selected mainly for other characteristics like shank pattern/size, head and beak, station, weight in hand, and overall health. I look forward to seeing what he and his half sister look like in about year.

Quote:
My apologies, it was late and could have used a better choice of words regarding your opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom