Pics
Is harkers available in mainland Europe? I know it is in US. They do a range of treatments for pigeons some of which can be used for chickens, such as cocci and canker. Also is flubenvet available? It's the best readily available worming option in UK.

@Cyprus
You mentioned mixing breeds. It's something I'm not in favor of generally. This topic has come up in other threads where I've stated I wasn't in favor.
Mention the above in running threads and you usually have to dodge the stones.
I keep family groups here. All the members are related in some way to each other.
I've found this is part of the secret of keeping more than one rooster per group.
I've dug out this article for you (and anyone else who may be interested)
https://academic.oup.com/beheco/article/28/3/760/3057961

I think what I would like to see regarding chickens across Europe and America is more awareness of battery hens. There is a massive rehoming drive in UK at the moment.

There is also a movement in Germany called "Rettet das Huhn". They rehome battery chickens. Although it is not recommended for novices, since this birds need a lot of TLC and often succumb to issues with their laying tract. Their intake needs to be adjusted to produce as many eggs as they do and chicken knowledge is a big benefit.

What I would like to see is more breeds being supported. Most beginners get them off a "chicken truck" which sells hybrids that appear to be breeds.
@Anaray do you use raiffeisen for your supplies?
No, but I have a similar agricultural store called Kiebitz where I can get feed and bedding. Most of the supplements and such, I order online. There is a lot available in online stores.

There is the danger of trying to follow the American model of backyard chicken keeping
which is completely irrelevant here.
Suggest to someone here you should be buying chick grit in little bags, or covering the ground with DE etc etc and you are likely to be talking to yourself very quickly and you're coffee at the bar will get served cold.:gig
Fortunately, small backyard flocks are becoming more popular. Unfortunately, a lot of newcomers are being berated for not enough space, knowledge and preparation by the others (in Germany), when they should be trying to help them make things better and help them along. But yes, talk about your spoiled chickens and you get used to raised eyebrows.:lau

When I was in Schwarzwald, Germany it seemed like Chickens were on the backburner and nobody used medications for them. Granted, I saw them at parks and farms.
"Pet" chicken keepers are rapidly multiplying. As far as medication, in Germany, you will need to find a vet that has suitable antibiotics (approved for laying birds). If you are lucky you can find one that has the package and will give some to you. If not, they will have to order and you might have to take the full package, which is made for industrial chicken farms. So you can treat 1000 birds.

In a whole, antibiotics are not used as often as in the US, which is in some aspects a good thing. But it would be a lot easier to have emergency meds on hand. Most vets are not chicken savvy and are learning as they go. But at least they will listen to what you have to say about what you think you need.

Ha ha ha :lau:lau and I'm sorry to say I've just checked on line and you 'don't have no' Action in Spain :gig:gig
Well, I can attest for "Action" in Germany and Belgium.:gig

I will try to write up some of the things that are commonly used in Germany this week.

Is harkers available in mainland Europe? I know it is in US. They do a range of treatments for pigeons some of which can be used for chickens, such as cocci and canker. Also is flubenvet available? It's the best readily available worming option in UK.
I have to check, but mine is called Flubenol. I have a big can of it and I believe it is mainly for pigs in a powder form, but safe for chickens.

There is also a movement in Germany called "Rettet das Huhn". They rehome battery chickens. Although it is not recommended for novices, since this birds need a lot of TLC and often succumb to issues with their laying tract. Their intake needs to be adjusted to produce as many eggs as they do and chicken knowledge is a big benefit.

What I would like to see is more breeds being supported. Most beginners get them off a "chicken truck" which sells hybrids that appear to be breeds.

No, but I have a similar agricultural store called Kiebitz where I can get feed and bedding. Most of the supplements and such, I order online. There is a lot available in online stores.

Fortunately, small backyard flocks are becoming more popular. Unfortunately, a lot of newcomers are being berated for not enough space, knowledge and preparation by the others (in Germany), when they should be trying to help them make things better and help them along. But yes, talk about your spoiled chickens and you get used to raised eyebrows.:lau

"Pet" chicken keepers are rapidly multiplying. As far as medication, in Germany, you will need to find a vet that has suitable antibiotics (approved for laying birds). If you are lucky you can find one that has the package and will give some to you. If not, they will have to order and you might have to take the full package, which is made for industrial chicken farms. So you can treat 1000 birds.

In a whole, antibiotics are not used as often as in the US, which is in some aspects a good thing. But it would be a lot easier to have emergency meds on hand. Most vets are not chicken savvy and are learning as they go. But at least they will listen to what you have to say about what you think you need.

Well, I can attest for "Action" in Germany and Belgium.:gig

I will try to write up some of the things that are commonly used in Germany this week.
Save the chickens! I like that! It is good news that pet chicken keeping is becoming more common. When I was there I didn't have any but I believe it was difficult for people to get permission for backyard flocks. I look forward to seeing how they are cared for and what products are available. I'm going to dortmund later this year to see family.
I have to check, but mine is called Flubenol. I have a big can of it and I believe it is mainly for pigs in a powder form, but safe for chickens.
Yes flubenol is the same product. I can get that in a bulk buy from my feed store.

Back
Top Bottom