Pics
That's what i can get here but as you mention, it's hard to get small amounts. I have a 5kg box.
I guess I got lucky with my 600gr package. :eek:

34884850ph.jpg

In Germany, it is hard to get anything medication wise without going to the apothecary or vet. Even dewormer for cats/dogs is officially only available at the vet or with a prescription. There are some online stores, but those are often in the Netherlands and ship to Germany.

I guess I got lucky with my 600gr package. :eek:

34884850ph.jpg

In Germany, it is hard to get anything medication wise without going to the apothecary or vet. Even dewormer for cats/dogs is officially only available at the vet or with a prescription. There are some online stores, but those are often in the Netherlands and ship to Germany.
Oy.
Making me rethink breeding chickens in Germany.

Save the chickens! I like that! It is good news that pet chicken keeping is becoming more common. When I was there I didn't have any but I believe it was difficult for people to get permission for backyard flocks. I look forward to seeing how they are cared for and what products are available. I'm going to dortmund later this year to see family.

Yes flubenol is the same product. I can get that in a bulk buy from my feed store.

It all depends on where you live, but in general, small flocks are allowed. Of course it might be difficult in large cities, but not necessarily impossible.
You do have to officially register your chickens with the city and in most states pay into the "Tierseuchenkasse" (a funds/insurance that takes care of issues in case of an epidemic/disease/disposal, etc.). This only costs a couple of Euros a year and is mainly geared towards large livestock keepers or industrial scale chicken keeping.
Apart from that, immunization against Newcastle's is mandatory. I am able to get the shot version from my vet which is good for 1 year.

Oy.
Making me rethink breeding chickens in Germany.
While it seems like a lot, if you have a decent vet, it is doable. Breeders are often in local organizations and plan hatches together so that immunizations are done for all at once. You also have a lot of experienced breeders that can help.
Even the Flubenol was only around €40, if I remember correctly. If you share it with others, you can split costs. Some vets might have it for livestock and you can get it dosed for your needs instead of buying the whole package.

I remember the first year I got my Newcastle's shots (a young vet that had just opened her practice and has been very willing to help), I paid for the whole package (€60, but I was totally fine with that). Now she has more chicken clients and it only cost me about €2-3 a chicken.
Immunization is also done in the clubs for a very low price. These are done via drinking water at 3 month intervals (I have heard about that being shorter in some cases), but I really don't want to go through picking up the meds and making sure it gets drank asap, as it is only good for 2(?) hours from when they mix it. Meaning you HAVE to be there when they give it out.

Don't they worry about possible mutation or resistance?
Apparently not.
We also have years where if there are many bird flu deaths in wild birds or large chicken farms that chickens have to be kept without any outside contact until the "scare" is over. Not rational or justifiable to me, but who knows what politicians are thinking (or who they are getting money from). Chicken farms get to clear their stock, get paid for their losses and start over with the next batch. Sounds like easy money to me.

We had a bird flu epidemic year before last. Every body with chickens, pigeons, ostriches any birds, had to keep them locked up in a covered run. Not bad if you only have a handful but the big farms struggled and unsurprisingly the cost of chicken and eggs or related products went up.
Apparently not.
We also have years where if there are many bird flu deaths in wild birds or large chicken farms that chickens have to be kept without any outside contact until the "scare" is over. Not rational or justifiable to me, but who knows what politicians are thinking (or who they are getting money from). Chicken farms get to clear their stock, get paid for their losses and start over with the next batch. Sounds like easy money to me.

Back
Top Bottom