Pics
We had a bird flu epidemic year before last. Every body with chickens, pigeons, ostriches any birds, had to keep them locked up in a covered run. Not bad if you only have a handful but the big farms struggled and unsurprisingly the cost of chicken and eggs or related products went up.
I watched a YouTuber in the UK who went through that.

We had a bird flu epidemic in S.A. a few years ago... In the big ostrich farming region. 1,000's of ostriches had to be put down, people had to get rid of their chickens, you were not allowed to keep ostriches/chickens with any other livestock on the same farm (???)... Lots of farmers suffered serious losses with little to no compensation and many farm workers lost their jobs. It was a nightmare! The closest case of bird flu was about 20 miles from where I lived, but we were o.k. thankfully... I spoke to the state vet one day and he said to me "Some days I HATE my job!" :( He had to go test all the birds and put down every single bird on the farm if ONE tested positive. He told me how farmers used to hide their ostriches and move them around after dark...

I had the state breathing down my neck about my chickens, which I refused to get rid off, at first. Ended up having them round to take blood from a bunch of my birds to get tested. One of them told me they are going to cull all my chickens, regardless of whether they are sick or not and I said well, you can start with ME then, because I will stand between you and them if you come here! After that we came to an agreement, I'll look after my flock, as I always did, and let them know of any losses, and they'll leave me in peace. And they did.

We had a bird flu epidemic in S.A. a few years ago... In the big ostrich farming region. 1,000's of ostriches had to be put down, people had to get rid of their chickens, you were not allowed to keep ostriches/chickens with any other livestock on the same farm (???)... Lots of farmers suffered serious losses with little to no compensation and many farm workers lost their jobs. It was a nightmare! The closest case of bird flu was about 20 miles from where I lived, but we were o.k. thankfully... I spoke to the state vet one day and he said to me "Some days I HATE my job!" :( He had to go test all the birds and put down every single bird on the farm if ONE tested positive. He told me how farmers used to hide their ostriches and move them around after dark...

I had the state breathing down my neck about my chickens, which I refused to get rid off, at first. Ended up having them round to take blood from a bunch of my birds to get tested. One of them told me they are going to cull all my chickens, regardless of whether they are sick or not and I said well, you can start with ME then, because I will stand between you and them if you come here! After that we came to an agreement, I'll look after my flock, as I always did, and let them know of any losses, and they'll leave me in peace. And they did.
Well dang.
I would fight the authorities, too. Nobody is killing my chickens unless they want to brawl or hurt me first.

I guess we are not alone when it comes to bird flu.

@sumi I am glad you were able to save your chickens.

Oh, FINALLY a thread where I don't have to multiply my kilos by 2.20462262, my centimeters by 0.393700787 and my Centigrades by 9 then divide by five and then add 32. (To all Americans: That was meant as tongue-in-cheek, you know I love you.)

Ooooh, Sweden...

Talk Hedemora to me.:love:D

Oh, FINALLY a thread where I don't have to multiply my kilos by 2.20462262, my centimeters by 0.393700787 and my Centigrades by 9 then divide by five and then add 32. (To all Americans: That was meant as tongue-in-cheek, you know I love you.)
:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau I know!!!! Mind you lots of Brits hanging around too and they still love the confusing stuff ;););)!!! Welcome!
Ooooh, Sweden...

Talk Hedemora to me.:love:D
Yes @Henrik Petersson tell us what chickens you have! I'd so love some Isbars but just can't find anyone in France that has them!

@PouleChick
Have you considered getting hatching eggs? I know they are getting popular in Germany and it might be a possibility to ship them to France.
I really have - that is already how I've built my flock other than 3 layer chicks last Christmas so I had eggs last year and 2 silkies as my mummies for the eggs. I dont' have space for more chickens at the moment, need to get my big coop built but then I'll try to look into it. I bet the hatch rate issn't great though coming through the post so far! Mind you they send them all over America and they manage! That would be so cool if I could be the first to have them in france!! I did try to look but even with my very rusty Danish I struggled a bit trying to navigate Swedish sites to see if I could find anyone - might see if the lovely @Henrik Petersson can help me when the time comes that I can look at getting some!

Morning Shad'!
Maybe this should be called the Metric thread.:D
Then it would be full of Aussies too :lau:lau . Are they metric in Africa??? Asia??? Middle East??? I'm guessing so :confused:

Back
Top Bottom