Pics
I have friends in SA who plan to pack their suitcases and run for life!
I was in pretoria 4 years ago. country is beautiful but I felt like in prison. people cannot walk in the street, they don't feel safe even in their cars and they spend free time in shopping malls. I stayed there for about 3 weeks and could not wait to return home.
That's part of the reason I left. It's gone a bit nuts down there now. I was born in Pretoria btw! Used to be a lovely city. Cape Town is still o.k. but you have to watch your back everywhere now, even in the small towns crime is common. It's so sad, really. It used to be a great country.

Still looking for more info on ability to cope with heat, can't find the original thing I read. I need birds that can cope up to 40c and down to -15c (very rare).

:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau poor Henrick, you obviously have been getting really stressed with years of fareiheit on here :lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

Ohhhhh I really look forward to seeing that!

I thought maybe my 2nd Marans started laying this week and now I'm sure as there were 2 eggs this morning :ya:ya:ya:ya
There's
Still looking for more info on ability to cope with heat, can't find the original thing I read. I need birds that can cope up to 40c and down to -15c (very rare).
From my experience with max of 40C and low of colder than -15C here is what I can tell you about breeds we have here that THRIVE in both :)
-Australorp
-Jersey Giant
-Brahma
-Delaware
-Sex Link
-Rhode Island Red
-Sussex

I'm seriously rethinking my feathered feeted varieties!
Just to expand a bit - I'm constantly putting wood chip (although it is quite fine), leaves etc in the run but it is actually on quite a slope (our garden is just slope so no moving to help!) so it all just ends up being spread by them and a muddy mess left with a pile of stuff up against the lower fence / thrown out onto the nearby grass etc! I think I need to put a row of breezeblocks or something along the bottom side to try to fix the problem. Also need to cover part of it to keep the water off to start with. Just so hard when our own house needs so much money / time / work - at the moment we have to focus on that (ie getting an inside bathroom, getting the first of our gites ready so we have some income etc etc - doesn't help dh is not well - has just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia :hitafter 8 years of bad health issues and a bijillian tests!).

Back
Top Bottom