Pics
The Goshawk is the main problem here.
We also have a couple of falcon species, weasels, mink, although they usually get seen here when moving to a new water source, foxes, very shy here and dusk till dawn hunters mostly, pole cats, Pine Martens, Ginneta (feral cat), Buzzards (carrion eaters in genral but will take a sick or injured chicken), stray hunting dogs, Badgers (egg takers mostly) Rats (chicks and eggs) a couple of other types of hawk.

The Goshawk is the main problem here.
We also have a couple of falcon species, weasels, mink, although they usually get seen here when moving to a new water source, foxes, very shy here and dusk till dawn hunters mostly, pole cats, Pine Martens, Ginneta (feral cat), Buzzards (carrion eaters in genral but will take a sick or injured chicken), stray hunting dogs, Badgers (egg takers mostly) Rats (chicks and eggs) a couple of other types of hawk.
Omg how do you keep them alive?

Good morning everyone!
How are you dealing with predators? Here we don't have a lot of different species, but have A LOT of foxes. Just saw one this morning that was ran over by car right next to my house, again. If only one hen in every ten years would not get locked- you will never see her again here-guaranteed!
Luckily we have a brick coop with concrete floor and very tight doors, but even if they were left in run I would be scared because I don't think even a two meter fence we have would be any problem from a hungry fox.
Other than that we don't have anything else, really(knock on wood)- had seen hawk last winter, but haven't seen it since, thankfully.
We have also 2 dogs, one is husky who is such a big guard, that even my son and husband cant go near of chickens. I told to my dog, that no one can hurt the chickens and he thought that people can hurt birds. But our chickens are all inside at night (summertime) because dogs are inside too. We have foxes, stoats, minks,weasels and allkind of predator birds. Few years ago sea eagle wanted to attack my smaller dog witch is Jack Russell. Our chickens have a outside run- one is with roof and other is open, but this year i have to buy special netting for the roof. The chickens were also free about 1-2 hours every day, but someone was watching always.

It's snowing in Ireland... First I've seen this winter. Had a great evening with my overexcited 12yo lad playing in it :) The Met Alert office is messing with us:

51221372_2122640257828440_1504050547232079872_n.jpg

It's snowing in Ireland... First I've seen this winter.
Had to video chat with my sister to show her that we did indeed get snow in Ireland because my daffodils were blooming upon her arrival two weeks ago. She was not very empathetic as she is in Chicago where temps tonight are going to -32C.

Neighbor lost his whole flock to a fox last summer and we've seen mink in the neighborhood so I am building as impenetrable coop and run as I am physically able!

Good morning everyone!
How are you dealing with predators? Here we don't have a lot of different species, but have A LOT of foxes. Just saw one this morning that was ran over by car right next to my house, again. If only one hen in every ten years would not get locked- you will never see her again here-guaranteed!
Luckily we have a brick coop with concrete floor and very tight doors, but even if they were left in run I would be scared because I don't think even a two meter fence we have would be any problem from a hungry fox.
Other than that we don't have anything else, really(knock on wood)- had seen hawk last winter, but haven't seen it since, thankfully.

at least 2,5 m fence is needed for fox. dogs do the great job with foxes but must be free running.

We have also 2 dogs, one is husky who is such a big guard, that even my son and husband cant go near of chickens. I told to my dog, that no one can hurt the chickens and he thought that people can hurt birds. But our chickens are all inside at night (summertime) because dogs are inside too. We have foxes, stoats, minks,weasels and allkind of predator birds. Few years ago sea eagle wanted to attack my smaller dog witch is Jack Russell. Our chickens have a outside run- one is with roof and other is open, but this year i have to buy special netting for the roof. The chickens were also free about 1-2 hours every day, but someone was watching always.
You trained him well!!

Back
Top Bottom