Pics
I think I may start next year. Still working on building up the flock at the moment! :) I have some Andalusian eggs cooking at the moment, they are due in 2 weeks.
Great!
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
I am a committee member of the PKCI. (Poultry keepers club of Ireland)

Very Nice!
I have some eggs due in just over two weeks too!
A few buff Cochins, banatm coronation Sussex and some cream legbars :D

Great!
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
I am a committee member of the PKCI. (Poultry keepers club of Ireland)

Very Nice!
I have some eggs due in just over two weeks too!
I'll do that, thanks! Fingers crossed for both our hatches :fl

Good grief, my mind is full of the Andalusian eggs, which is my first attempt at hatching shipped eggs! I forgot to mention I have 6 Khaki Campbell ducks due to hatch that weekend as well :oops:

I'll do that, thanks! Fingers crossed for both our hatches :fl

Good grief, my mind is full of the Andalusian eggs, which is my first attempt at hatching shipped eggs! I forgot to mention I have 6 Khaki Campbell ducks due to hatch that weekend as well :oops:

Yes, fingers crossed for both of our hatches!

Great!
I have only attempted shipped hatching eggs once before and let’s say it was a waste of money (€65!)

Very good!
Hope your Campbell eggs hatch too :D

raining too much here!

a silkie hen is sitting on 2 marans eggs + 3 easter egger eggs: mom is a blue egger nacked neck and dad is a british araucana mix (supposed to be pure but obviously he is not).

Welcome to our thread!

I just had a look - they are gorgeous with thier white spots on black - really like the look of them and sounds like they are very good dual purpose - apparently thier meat is excellent (compared with Bresse on one site). I have found my best option for choice and price is our local Co-operative Agricole (here is it the Co-operative Perigourdian - they have lots of shops all over the Perigord). I'm guessing there would be a Normand equivalent?
I was looking for La Gournay chicks. Our local co-op was only advertising commercial hybrids, but I found a breeder online, advertising on Le Bon Coin. I was thinking of hatching some under a broody when our old cock passed away. But as life is, there are always chickens looking for homes, so I now have a fine mixture of cross bred chickens now all settling in nicely. Perhaps next year I will see if a young broody will hatch some fertile eggs.
I hope everyone and their chickens are enjoying the spring!

a silkie hen is sitting on 2 marans eggs + 3 easter egger eggs
How are all your hatchings going? I managed to pop 5 of my murdered Araucana eggs (not sure what the dad will be though so hopefully some easter eggers although 25% chance it is the Araucana roo) and a few of the dead silkies into my neighbours incubator and now my other silkie has cleverly gone broody. I've just moved her into the broody coop and she has settled back onto some eggs in there. All being well I'll pop the eggs that are in the bator under her tomorrow evening. I actually can't remember when it all happened - gosh just looked and that was 10 days ago so we are half way though already, or less as they seem to only go about 19 days I find for those breeds! Poor Doris may get a shock that they arrive so early bless her!

I have only attempted shipped hatching eggs once before and let’s say it was a waste of money (€65!)
WOW that is steep! What were they?

Our local co-op was only advertising commercial hybrids, but I found a breeder online, advertising on Le Bon Coin
Same here the coop only sells hybrid chicks - red, black and if you are lucky a coucou! I do have a garden centre in Mussidan that sells some silkies (adult though not chicks) and the Gamme Vert in Bergerac has a few more varieties of POL hens (from Beaumont I think). Never seen eggs in any of them. I have also bought all my hatchign eggs from lovely local breeders found on LBC :D

Gosh, in a nutshell, hatched 5 ducklings (only one of which looks like a Khaki Campbell) and so far 2 chicks. We're down to 7 live chicks, after some didn't develop, quit and died right at the end, one this evening, before it finished hatching. Shipped eggs suck :( I'm assisting them and waiting for the last 5 to finish absorbing their yolks now, so I can help them out. Should be soon, they were nearly ready when I checked earlier.

Back
Top Bottom