Yes I am in Surrey in the UK and find a lot of the US stuff doesn't apply to me - though it is still interesting to read. For instance we are advised in Britain that we should not feed kitchen scraps to chickens.

kitchen scraps are ok just make sure they don't eat a lot of it. otherwise mix it with chicken mash or corn meal. the problem with kitchen scraps is that chickens should not eat a lot of salty food. but english people don't use a lot of salt so for you there is no danger.

Oh wow... we don't have those restrictions in GErmany. I read that vegans are allowed to feed their chickens scraps... that kinda made me realize why they are doing that. They are probably afraid of another mad cow disease kinda situation.

chickens are not cows. cows are herbivores and chickens are omnivores.

when I was 3 mo my mother got hepatitis. when she recovered doctor put her on a strict diet and forbid any kind of fat for good. my granny didn't know that and butchered a big fat hen. as my mother has always had good apetite she made a soup. she totally recovered from hepatitis and has always eaten a lot of high fat food. she is 77 yo old and fine for her age.

I guess that is the reason I have never paid a lot of attention to what doctors say. they take care of illness not of health. medicine no 1 in the world is a chicken soup, lol.

I know that :) I was just saying that this might be the reason why there is such a rule. I don't know for sure but it sure sounds like it. Why else would vegans be allowed to feed their animals scraps but meat eating households are forbidden?
Not sure if I'm allowed on this thread,
but I read up on this topic and it is because of the mad cow disease.
They don't want you to feed your chickens any kind of animal by products. Even things like meal worms (because they are almost always raised on animal waste).

Back
Top Bottom