Welcome @Naisha !
@chickengr I have quails... The most important thing you need to know - they smell!!! Much more than chicken! Do you keep them in cages? How old are they? Can you post pictures of the Jumbo?

I wasn't prepared for quails so I put them in a big home made cage, 1,30 m x 0,60 m. they are together at the moment as they are babies, about 30 days old. I know they smell, ask me how I know that :lau

I wasn't prepared for quails so I put them in a big home made cage, 1,30 m x 0,60 m. they are together at the moment as they are babies, about 30 days old. I know they smell, ask me how I know that :lau
I keep some of mine in a bottomless cage outside, they were ok even in the snow and kept laying eggs. They can grow all together, no problems. If you separate them even for a week, if you try to put them back together they'll kill each other. So don't separate them...

I keep some of mine in a bottomless cage outside, they were ok even in the snow and kept laying eggs. They can grow all together, no problems. If you separate them even for a week, if you try to put them back together they'll kill each other. So don't separate them...

I will separate them when I decide to breed them.

my concern about keeping them outside are rats. another thing is that I have been told that they stop laying if temperature is less than 18 C. now when you say they lay in the snow I might consider keeping them outside. another job to be done - building cages.

I will separate them when I decide to breed them.

my concern about keeping them outside are rats. another thing is that I have been told that they stop laying if temperature is less than 18 C. now when you say they lay in the snow I might consider keeping them outside. another job to be done - building cages.
My japaneses are outside in a small quail coop and run I built for them. The size is 1m x 2m (about 3,25 ft x 6,5 ft). The bottom of the run has no net and I can easily move everything so they always have fresh grass to graze. To avoid predators I always lock them in the little coop at night. Mine stopped laying a bit later than the chickens (I think it's more about the daytime hours than the temperatures).
This will be my first winter with quails outside (the first ones hatched in November last year, from supermarket eggs, and I put them outside in march). Here the temperatures hardly go below -10°C (14°F). I read that quails have no problems until it's below -30°C (-22°F). But here we have a strong and cold wind, called bora. It can reach 150-180 km/h (93-111mph). In a certain place it's said it once reached 250km/h (155mph). So I had to put the quail coop in a wind-sheltered place and I filled everything with extra sharvings and straw (I won't move the coop until spring since that it's one of the most sheltered places I have), they are happy and having no problems so far. If I notice they are too cold because of the bora I'll put them inside until the spring.

My japaneses are outside in a small quail coop and run I built for them. The size is 1m x 2m (about 3,25 ft x 6,5 ft). The bottom of the run has no net and I can easily move everything so they always have fresh grass to graze. To avoid predators I always lock them in the little coop at night. Mine stopped laying a bit later than the chickens (I think it's more about the daytime hours than the temperatures).
This will be my first winter with quails outside (the first ones hatched in November last year, from supermarket eggs, and I put them outside in march). Here the temperatures hardly go below -10°C (14°F). I read that quails have no problems until it's below -30°C (-22°F). But here we have a strong and cold wind, called bora. It can reach 150-180 km/h (93-111mph). In a certain place it's said it once reached 250km/h (155mph). So I had to put the quail coop in a wind-sheltered place and I filled everything with extra sharvings and straw (I won't move the coop until spring since that it's one of the most sheltered places I have), they are happy and having no problems so far. If I notice they are too cold because of the bora I'll put them inside until the spring.

thank you for the information.

we rarely have - 2 celsius, maybe 1 morning in january and just for a few hours. we also have bora so all of my poultry must be protected from wind at least at night when they cannot move around.

Back
Top Bottom