Did you have such strange temperatures too as we did in NL?

This was in our news today (and seen with my own eyes, even stung by a mosquito on new year’s day) :

The spectacular temperatures around the turn of the year would not have been out of place in May fifty years ago," says biologist Arnold van Vliet of Wageningen University. "And it's still spring-like. You can see the dusting of the alder and hazel trees. As a result, people suffered from hay fever around the turn of the year. We see reports of mosquito nuisance everywhere. Ticks are active, and wasps and butterflies flying around. If you pay attention, you see things happening that are not normal before the beginning of January."

Did you have such strange temperatures too as we did in NL?

This was in our news today (and seen with my own eyes, even stung by a mosquito on new year’s day) :

The spectacular temperatures around the turn of the year would not have been out of place in May fifty years ago," says biologist Arnold van Vliet of Wageningen University. "And it's still spring-like. You can see the dusting of the alder and hazel trees. As a result, people suffered from hay fever around the turn of the year. We see reports of mosquito nuisance everywhere. Ticks are active, and wasps and butterflies flying around. If you pay attention, you see things happening that are not normal before the beginning of January."

the same here.

Today I was able to sell the last of the hens that didn't make the breeding program. I was so worried that I would have to have them butchered before the chicks arrive. But since Christmas eve everybody wanted to buy hens. While before I ran adds and nothing. :confused:
And I was able to sell a rooster to a breeder. I was so thrilled! I didn't even have the roosters advertised. He just saw my add for the hens and asked if I had a rooster that he could buy. :wee
I am hoping for a callback from the place I will have the other 3 butchered at... hopefully next week I can take them there. Usually I butcher myself but with these temperatures and no running water atm (water is turned off and I have to go inside with a watering can to get water). So I will just have them butchered. It's easier.

Hope you guys are doing well. So far the bird flu has not come too close yet. No lockdown for the chickens.
I will start collecting eggs at the end of the month. Anybody else going to hatch again this year?

@abpatchy
Nice news on selling the youngsters!
The whole off the Netherlands is in chicken lock down. But they only find infected birds in the north, in Holland and near water (rivers).

This year I probably won’t hatch. With 7 ladies my setup is just fine and hopefully this flock will give me enough eggs until next winter.

But of course, with chickens its never sure what will happen. I do hope there are no disasters like last year. If I loose a few hens again, I might buy fertile bantam eggs when I have a broody.

Back
Top Bottom