Soo: A Frazzle is an over-frizzled chicken, also known as an extreme frizzle or curly. Frazzling is the undesirable result of mating two frizzled chickens together. Since the frizzle gene is incompletely dominant, 25% of the offspring will have smooth feathers, 50% will be frizzled, and 25% will be frazzled.

Just by looking at a chicken could you distinguish between frizzle and frazzle? I wonder what do I have - frizzle or frazzle?

Soo: A Frazzle is an over-frizzled chicken, also known as an extreme frizzle or curly. Frazzling is the undesirable result of mating two frizzled chickens together. Since the frizzle gene is incompletely dominant, 25% of the offspring will have smooth feathers, 50% will be frizzled, and 25% will be frazzled.

Just by looking at a chicken could you distinguish between frizzle and frazzle? I wonder what do I have - frizzle or frazzle?
I guess some experts will know. I think frazzles often have bare patches

When breeding frizzle chickens, there will sometimes be birds with normal feathers, regularly frizzle and very much frizzle , to keep the genetic biodiversity in the stock healthy, it is important to keep on breeding with some of these chickens without the frizzle, or else too much frizzle becomes a bad thing

Frizzle gene it's incompletely dominant: it means that it's showed even if there is only one copy of the gene, but if you have two copies of the gene it will be showed in a different way (in most of the genes it's like a double effect).

The blue gene it's incompletely dominant: so one copy gives blue, two copies give splash.
Also nacked neck it's incompletely dominant: one copy gives a nacked neck with a tuft of feathers over the crop, two copies give a complete nacked neck.

A chicken with pure frizzle gene (also called frazzle) has very curled feathers with the rachis that often breaks. These chickens have many bald patches.

9921405F-1784-4918-A376-CC91C7A1BE31.jpeg

A neighbour spotted a sick bird with ‘het geel’ translated its Yellow . Very contagious for many birds. Pigeons too. But not for found in chickens.

https://dier-en-natuur.infonu.nl/zieke-dieren/40833-vogelziekte-het-geel.html
Translated:
The bird disease 'Het Geel' is currently spreading rapidly through the country. Germany has been suffering from it for more than three months, and many wild birds have already died from it. The Netherlands has also been under the spell of the Geel (trichomonas gallinae) since last week.
What kind of disease is it?
The Yellow (trichomonas gallinae) is a highly contagious disease. It is actually a single-celled parasite that has always lived in the bird's mouth and pharynx. Normally this is not harmful, but in birds with less resistance and in combination with the warm weather, this parasite causes an infection. The infection manifests itself as yellow/whitish lumps in the bird's throat. The animal can also get a yellow snot-like stool. As with any other disease, this disease also has milder and more severe forms.

View attachment 2987390
A neighbour spotted a sick bird with ‘het geel’ translated its Yellow . Very contagious for many birds. Pigeons too. But not for found in chickens.

https://dier-en-natuur.infonu.nl/zieke-dieren/40833-vogelziekte-het-geel.html
Translated:
The bird disease 'Het Geel' is currently spreading rapidly through the country. Germany has been suffering from it for more than three months, and many wild birds have already died from it. The Netherlands has also been under the spell of the Geel (trichomonas gallinae) since last week.
What kind of disease is it?
The Yellow (trichomonas gallinae) is a highly contagious disease. It is actually a single-celled parasite that has always lived in the bird's mouth and pharynx. Normally this is not harmful, but in birds with less resistance and in combination with the warm weather, this parasite causes an infection. The infection manifests itself as yellow/whitish lumps in the bird's throat. The animal can also get a yellow snot-like stool. As with any other disease, this disease also has milder and more severe forms.

chickens can get it too from the wild birds. it is called canker. make sure wild birds don't drink from your chicken's waterer.

chickens can get it too from the wild birds. it is called canker. make sure wild birds don't drink from your chicken's waterer.
Thanks for the warning. My chickens have nipple waterers and one open bowl. I will put that in the cage where the songbirds usually don’t come.
The bigger birds like pigeons and blackbirds can’t enter the chicken’s territory because they can’t pass through the netting on top of the run. And they don’t have beak contact with the song birds who come into the run.

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member who finally decided to register after a few weeks of just reading along. This thread was actually the tipping point because I really wanted to be able to join in with the other europeans.

I'm from the Netherlands. I live in the northernmost province of Groningen.

If anyone's interested, here's my new member post
cheep

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member who finally decided to register after a few weeks of just reading along. This thread was actually the tipping point because I really wanted to be able to join in with the other europeans.

I'm from the Netherlands. I live in the northernmost province of Groningen.

If anyone's interested, here's my new member post
cheep

till you get chickens you can join the gardening thread.

Back
Top Bottom