They get their food three times a day, the afternoon portion of which is fermented. They are allowed to free range in the garden during the day and eat a lot of grass and insects. However, yesterday it went wrong again. I think he is just very sensitive to this, luckily he always recovers after about 10 minutes and is immediately his happy self again. Maybe it can't be solved but I find it so sad when I find him paralyzed...

maybe he has worms? it is rare at ducks but possible. you can give them pill for dogs but double dose (1 pill for 5 kg of body weight instead of 10). I have been doing this for years as I cannot find any wormer for tapeworms for chickens. as they digest food much faster than dogs a double dose is required.

Interesting. Can you give a link to this blog?

Maybe the duck is just tired , filled up and takes a nap after foraging?
sure!

https://cluckin.net/breeding-chickens.html

This is the first entry of the blog in case you want to go through the whole thing like I am. As far as I know he doesn't have an archive on his site so I had to click through quite a few times to get to the first entry haha
He does have linked sections with a lot of his blog posts, this is the one about feeding
https://cluckin.net/feeding-chickens.html

I couldn't tell you if it has all the feed related posts as I haven't gone through it all yet.

It's not all food, there's also a lot on breeding and genetics, and sometimes just small little things. There are some spelling errors and like I said I think the editing doesn't always seamlessly work with the original, but it's still a very cool blog and I like to read it.

maybe he has worms? it is rare at ducks but possible. you can give them pill for dogs but double dose (1 pill for 5 kg of body weight instead of 10). I have been doing this for years as I cannot find any wormer for tapeworms for chickens. as they digest food much faster than dogs a double dose is required.
Maybe, but then it would be very coincidental that it always happened before dinner. To be on the safe side, I would like to deworm them once, but rather not with a product that has not been proven safe for poultry. If I give too little there is a risk of resistance and too much is of course not good either. Which active ingredient do you use?

I got worming medicine for my dog from the vet today. I'll ask next time if she has that for poultry too.

Thanks for thinking along!

I haven't been getting notifications and I was just very busy. Hope everybody is well and healthy. My husband had a stroke in January so I have been a little out of the picture with this thread. He is on the mend and hopefully will fully recover.
At the moment I have 19 eggs in lockdown. Due to hatch on Monday evening.
I also have 96 eggs in my second incubator to hatch in 2.5 weeks.

Maybe, but then it would be very coincidental that it always happened before dinner. To be on the safe side, I would like to deworm them once, but rather not with a product that has not been proven safe for poultry. If I give too little there is a risk of resistance and too much is of course not good either. Which active ingredient do you use?

I got worming medicine for my dog from the vet today. I'll ask next time if she has that for poultry too.

Thanks for thinking along!

as I said before I have been worming my poultry for years with dog wormers. I think you can get drontal plus in bulgaria. I have spoken to a few vets and they agree with me that double (dog) dose should be given to the poultry. fast digestion is the reason.

I haven't been getting notifications and I was just very busy. Hope everybody is well and healthy. My husband had a stroke in January so I have been a little out of the picture with this thread. He is on the mend and hopefully will fully recover.
At the moment I have 19 eggs in lockdown. Due to hatch on Monday evening.
I also have 96 eggs in my second incubator to hatch in 2.5 weeks.

fast recovery to your husband!

as I said before I have been worming my poultry for years with dog wormers. I think you can get drontal plus in bulgaria. I have spoken to a few vets and they agree with me that double (dog) dose should be given to the poultry. fast digestion is the reason.
The dog wormers I know are poisonous. You need to throw away the eggs for a couple of weeks if you use it.

Back
Top Bottom