They do have tails, yes! I prefer my chickens with tails too. I know there's nothing wrong with the rumpless chickens, but it just look a little weird to me haha😅
They are full sized, or they will be, right now they are about the size of a little bantam lol.
In two weeks they will be joined by the rest of the flock, two more little pullets; one swedish isbar, one BCM and two dutch bantam hens. They're called "sabelpoot kriel" in dutch, which means "sable leg bantam", but I don't think that's the english term for them.😋 Their owner got in a bit of financial difficulty and put out a request on facebook if anyone would want to give them a new loving home. And I have always loved the mille fleur pattern of these birds and they would be a perfect little fit in my flock so I was very happy to welcome them. She has a job near where I live so I'm within visiting distance which I'm sure is a comfort for her. She'll be delivering them instead of me picking them up so she can see where they'll live and so she'll know how to get here for visits. I told her she can visit whenever she wants and if she ever gets back on her feet and wants them back then that's fine too. I can only imagine the heartbreak of having to give up beloved pets because of unforeseen circumstances so I'll help however I can.
Sabelpoot kriel = Dutch booted bantam.
https://www.sabelpootclub.nl/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/03/Dutch-booted-bantam.pdf

Hello everyone, I haven't been online for almost two months. Was busy building a chicken coop as I got tired of searching for eggs everywhere in the house, garden and the woods around.

Now, I need DUTCH HELP!
I will be in the NL around August 20th and I would like to buy eggs from LF Nederlandse uilenbaard
and LF Silver Lakenfelder. I will be driving so location doesn't matter.

I’m sorry I can’t help. We go away on a summer hollidays tomorrow morning and won’t be back until the end of august.

But wish you much luck of course! Maybe someone can put an announcement (free) for you on Marktplace in Dutch and English.

Hello everyone, I haven't been online for almost two months. Was busy building a chicken coop as I got tired of searching for eggs everywhere in the house, garden and the woods around.

Now, I need DUTCH HELP!
I will be in the NL around August 20th and I would like to buy eggs from LF Nederlandse uilenbaard
and LF Silver Lakenfelder. I will be driving so location doesn't matter.

did you find hatching eggs?

did you find hatching eggs?
Yes and no :) My trip to the NL has been postponed until end of September or beginning of October. I was able to find a Dutch man, non-chickener, who found a Brabanter breeder in the NL and so I have secured eggs, when I finally get there. I have not been able to find Nederlandse uilenbaard or Lakenfelder. BTW you mentioned a friend of yours has Silver Lakenfelder? Do you know what size they are. I was told there isn't such thing as LF Lakenfelder - they are all bantams???

Yes and no :) My trip to the NL has been postponed until end of September or beginning of October. I was able to find a Dutch man, non-chickener, who found a Brabanter breeder in the NL and so I have secured eggs, when I finally get there. I have not been able to find Nederlandse uilenbaard or Lakenfelder. BTW you mentioned a friend of yours has Silver Lakenfelder? Do you know what size they are. I was told there isn't such thing as LF Lakenfelder - they are all bantams???
There are LF Lakenfelder... as well as bantam. I have even seen them in blue. Gorgeous!
Hope you'll find all your eggs you are wanting.

Uh, somehow I still cannot find the value of bantam chicken... (I have Silkies, Sultans and Freezland hens)
In the Netherlands lots of people don’t have a large plot or garden to keep chickens. Therefore many backyard chicken keepers prefer to have a flock of small chickens. IMO it’s nicer to have 6 bantams than 2 normal sized chickens. And some breeders also like to breed with bantams in need of a large gene pool, wich is easier with bantams on limited space.

Space might have been an issue , long time ago, too. Space on the ships /space in the city gardens. ??
Bantams found their way to the Netherlands in the 16th century. Imported from the Bantam area Indonesia. The Dutch bantams (Hollandse kriel) are a breed that was developed from these Bantams from Indonesia (a colony of the Netherlands long time ago). And now all small breeds are called bantams because of this. ;)

Ok, I am now into 2 other chicken topics:

1. Heating chicken water during the winter using solar light... I am researching options.
2. Growing my own protein rich food. I have tried superworms and it works. I will now be trying with Lemna and with grasshoppers. I am also looking to buy BSF larvae - not available in Bulgaria.

So any ideas, wisdom, articles, experience on these two topics, are highly appreciated.

they are size of leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom