Well done, let us know how it goes! I think this year I'm going to try to hatch eggs ordered by mail for the first time. I found some breeds I was searching for, I like how the breeder keeps his birds, I just have to wait for some hen to go broody. How much does it cost (approximately) a fertilized egg from a breeder in Germany? They asked me 3 euro/egg, is this too much?
Thanks! I'll let know how things go..with the Augsburger. My first hatch with my Sulmtaler hasn't gone so well...I only have 18 eggs left in the machine. sigh....I do hope for better hatches in the future.
3 Euros is ok if it is a decent breeder who had an good amount of good rated birds. Or if it is a rare breed. Otherwise I think it's too much. 2 to 2.50 would be ok.

Then I really don't know what happened with my birds, but I'll probably try to buy some chicks from farma pateras again, j had decent luck with them, I got the Greek crested

Ugh I've been eyeing some aseel eggs on ebay, but I'm not gonna do it because I know I'll get disappointed. Good luck to yall!
I don't expect a good hatch rate, I would like to give it a try though, because some breeds are hard to find where I live and when you find them they cost tons of money or birds are kept in such dirty and small cages that I just can't give money to those people.
I searched for aseel chickens in Italy just out of curiosity and in the only ad I can find they sell them at 250 €/bird. 😯😧

I don't expect a good hatch rate, I would like to give it a try though, because some breeds are hard to find where I live and when you find them they cost tons of money or birds are kept in such dirty and small cages that I just can't give money to those people.
I searched for aseel chickens in Italy just out of curiosity and in the only ad I can find they sell them at 250 €/bird. 😯😧
You live in northern Italy... have you thought about a breeder in Austria?
When I went to Wels people from all over the place came to buy birds.

Omg where did you find aseel?! I couldn't find any here, and I'm still desperate for a hen. @chickengr might know of some aseel sellers here, but I haven't found any (there are some, although I don't know where to find them due to their situation let's say, that have aseel, but they fight their birds and I don't want to get involved with that) so now my only option is to get hatching eggs from ebay, but they'd come all the way from the UK, and they're SUPER expensive, and since they're eggs I might get duped

You live in northern Italy... have you thought about a breeder in Austria?
When I went to Wels people from all over the place came to buy birds.
I would really love travelling in search of chickens , but it's not really an option at the moment: I live alone in the middle of nowhere with lot of animals and I couldn't go to Austria and come back in just one day. Let's see if I can hatch some shipped eggs next spring!

This is a little bit of a rant, so I'm preparing you all,but I just need a place to vent, so I figured fellow European chicken lovers would be the ideal place for this. I'm am so exhausted from all the failed attempts at getting what I want, which is a broody (because broody=hatching eggs=I can hatch and breed my birds) I think I've mentioned this before, but a quick overview is, 5 years ago I tried contacting a farm to buy some silkie chicks, they said they'd call me back once they are ready to send the birds, they never did. Managed to get a landrace breed that is known for going broody 2 years ago, none did. Found a broody hen last year, she sat perfectly for two weeks, snapped out of it, I said fine, at least she'll go broody again next year, one week later she escaped and was stolen. The same year I got a pair of aseel, was told they were the opposite gender, both ended up males. This year, found some silkie chicks, had to give up my favorite rooster because I couldn't have 4 roosters on the property, my neighbors would hate me. One week after purchase all died. I'm just so frustrated, whatever I do somehow nature says, nope, ain't no way you're doing that!

Back
Top Bottom