Shamo are more common here, they're still expensive, but at least they exist! Tomorrow I check if I can find someone who sells egg to ship. From Italy it wouldn't be a long trip, but mail service REALLY sucks here, I'm not sure if it would be better than from the UK, ahah!

About my hen: I don't know, I thought everything was fine except for her feathers, but in the last 3 days she pooped her egg in the night while she was on the roost! What does that mean? This never happened to me before!

Hmm this has only happened to me with starter pullets, or with eggbound birds that suddenly lay their egg. It's so weird! I don't know if you already have, but definitely make a thread about her in the diseases and emergencies sub section, something is definitely up

@fluffycrow I'm working for you! 😊 I asked a breeder I know to find me some Aseel breeders who could send eggs by mail and he told me he will let me know! He's into chicken competitions, so he knows a lot of breeders. Hope something will come out of it!

Thank you so much! Today I learned of a place that *might* have what I'm looking for, but I'm not getting too excited yet! Still no signs of any hen going broody, so if I don't find what I'm looking for then hatching eggs will be my only option. But then I'd have to worry about incubation! I have quick access to incubators, but no experience in hatching eggs with an incubator, so it might be dumb for lack of a better word to get aseel eggs as my first ever hatching eggs

I don't know, I fear I'd waste precious eggs! I guess that if you have success in locating aseel eggs, I can get the incubator now, do a batch of eggs from my chickens (which I actually want to do since they are a breed I'm interested in preserving) and then later in the season when it's hotter outside I could get the aseel eggs, so I'd have some experience. But then again you don't know when a breeder is going to have hatching eggs available

I agree, I read enough stories about incubators to know that there are many things that can go wrong when you lack experience and I wouldn't try with rare eggs for the first time. Well, I'll let you know what I find, I guess a breeder just need some time to collect the number of eggs that you want, but if he has roosters and hens it shouldn't be so hard to find the moment when he has eggs available!

Thanks! I'll let know how things go..with the Augsburger. My first hatch with my Sulmtaler hasn't gone so well...I only have 18 eggs left in the machine. sigh....I do hope for better hatches in the future.
3 Euros is ok if it is a decent breeder who had an good amount of good rated birds. Or if it is a rare breed. Otherwise I think it's too much. 2 to 2.50 would be ok.
In the Netherlands the normal price to ask is 1€ for common not price winning heritage breeds. Only €0,50 for mixes. And €1,50 or €2 for rare breeds, colours and specials. Shipping excluded.

Interested? Here you find Dutch prices for fertilised eggs, incubatores and special boxes for shipping eggs. https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/broedeieren/
You need to login to open. Make an account or with google.

PS easy to translate text with Word or google translate.

Last edited:
This is a little bit of a rant, so I'm preparing you all,but I just need a place to vent, so I figured fellow European chicken lovers would be the ideal place for this. I'm am so exhausted from all the failed attempts at getting what I want, which is a broody (because broody=hatching eggs=I can hatch and breed my birds) I think I've mentioned this before, but a quick overview is, 5 years ago I tried contacting a farm to buy some silkie chicks, they said they'd call me back once they are ready to send the birds, they never did. Managed to get a landrace breed that is known for going broody 2 years ago, none did. Found a broody hen last year, she sat perfectly for two weeks, snapped out of it, I said fine, at least she'll go broody again next year, one week later she escaped and was stolen. The same year I got a pair of aseel, was told they were the opposite gender, both ended up males. This year, found some silkie chicks, had to give up my favorite rooster because I couldn't have 4 roosters on the property, my neighbors would hate me. One week after purchase all died. I'm just so frustrated, whatever I do somehow nature says, nope, ain't no way you're doing that!
Its still too early in the year for many breeders to sell their eggs. Many heritage breeds start to lay enough (many) eggs in march. The ones I spoke want to breed their first eggs themselves. And probably sell from the end of march or in april.
I made an agreement to contact a breeder for this reason in april when I have a broody.

In the Netherlands the normal price to ask is 1€ for common not price winning heritage breeds. Only €0,50 for mixes. And €1,50 or €2 for rare breeds, colours and specials. Shipping excluded.

Interested? Here you find Dutch prices for fertilised eggs, incubatores and special boxes for shipping eggs. https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/broedeieren/
You need to login to open. Make an account or with google.

PS easy to translate text with Word or google translate.
Wow.... what a price difference! Here in Germany I see adds for mixed breed's eggs ...some even sell for 3 Euros per egg (which I find rediculous).

Interested?
Wow.... what a price difference! Here in Germany I see adds for mixed breed's eggs ...some even sell for 3 Euros per egg (which I find rediculous).

I'm afraid in Italy 3 euro/egg is a normal price for rare breeds. I'm searching for Isbar eggs (definitely hard to find here) and I can't find any in the dutch website (I only see some Isbar cockerels or roosters ads, but maybe this is because I don't speak dutch!). I found Isbar eggs from Germany on eBay for 2,50/egg, but with shipping costs would be more expensive anyway, so I guess I will buy them here.
Anyway, I have to wait for some hens to go broody, maybe by then something else comes up!

Back
Top Bottom