Know anything about importing eggs?

I’m planning to import hatching eggs from Slovenia to Ireland? Any legalities, complications, import things I should know about?

Welcome to this thread Rockettoe.

I believe there are no restrictions within the EU.
But if you want a reasonable outcome you need more than just fresh eggs transported in a egg carton. A superb packaging and a special delivery are important or you risk shaken eggs with scrambled aircells who are no longer attached to the membrane.

I don’t have experience getting hatching eggs over a long distance myself. Furthest was about 120 km by car. But the person I bouhgt the eggs from told me all about it. He had send his eggs by post all over Europe.

Welcome to this thread Rockettoe.

I believe there are no restrictions within the EU.
But if you want a reasonable outcome you need more than just fresh eggs transported in a egg carton. A superb packaging and a special delivery are important or you risk shaken eggs with scrambled aircells who are no longer attached to the membrane.

I don’t have experience getting hatching eggs over a long distance myself. Furthest was about 120 km by car. But the person I bouhgt the eggs from told me all about it. He had send his eggs by post all over Europe.
I suppose worst came t worst I could fly over, collect them, and. Bring them on the hand luggage on the plane. A wonder if 2-300 eggs would safely fit in the hand luggage restrictions? 😂

Taking about 50 eggs in your hand luggage shouldn’t be a problem. What breed did you fall in love with , you want to make such a trip for? Or can you combine it with a vacation /visit?

Bdutch, any chance of finding Silver Lakenfelder eggs in about 3 weeks? I have a truck coming from Freezland to my place and the driver will take eggs.
@Maiahr who seems no longer active on BYC imported eggs from the Netherlands to Bulgaria by truck. If I recall right she was not successful the first time but had good outcomes the second time. (Interested? Read this thread from dec 2021)

@Maiahr who seems no longer active on BYC imported eggs from the Netherlands to Bulgaria by truck. If I recall right she was not successful the first time but had good outcomes the second time. (Interested? Read this thread from dec 2021)
I am here :) Just a million of other adventures in my life. Yes, importing eggs by truck did work well. And BTW I am now buy ISA-Brown eggs from France the same way - they import them by truck.
How is everyone?
Last year I was busy building a chicken coop - did not have one before. I will send pictures soon, I am sure nobody has seen such thing before :)

Really pleased with how this one is looking right now. This is an older photo, I do not take many photos of her because she likes to move. Just imagine this, with her head and neck held at a better position. Her tail is probably her weakest point, although it's still a little more fanned out than this
Screenshot_20230911_022223_Gallery.jpg

Taking about 50 eggs in your hand luggage shouldn’t be a problem. What breed did you fall in love with , you want to make such a trip for? Or can you combine it with a vacation /visit?

Slovenian brown. It’s part of the parent stock of prelux g, the Slovenian answer to lohman brown. I was looking for a purebred that was bred for production and high egg laying with a brown egg. We are a small commercial flock but want to move away from hybrids.

The Slovenian brown is a line descended from RIR in the 70’s.

I’ll check out that thread, thanks!

I am here :) Just a million of other adventures in my life. Yes, importing eggs by truck did work well. And BTW I am now buy ISA-Brown eggs from France the same way - they import them by truck.
How is everyone?
Last year I was busy building a chicken coop - did not have one before. I will send pictures soon, I am sure nobody has seen such thing before :)

welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom