NubbyRyuu

Songster
5 Years
Jan 26, 2019
My folks and I are in the middle of moving, stuck at an AirBnB, while my dad's boss takes care of my 6 bantams (Silkies and Barbu). Our new house has a shed + attachment that I got to see today, and my babies will be staying in the attachment, which is about 8ft x 8ft, roughly; it might be a touch smaller.

We do have a big run we're gonna attach to it and get things prepped once we finally close on Sept13. But I learned of a new problem I never had to deal with before: Bears. Black Bears to be precise.

Now I do lock my feeders away and all that jazz, no one's free range. While I do have measures to keep aerial predators at bay (and maybe ground ones; not everything likes blindly shiny objects), I'm trying to think ahead to any possible bears that might come through.

I read about bleach/ammonia type smells being placed in the trash to keep them out of there, but my chickens are not free snacks to the wild. I have time, so any tips and tricks are welcome. I wanna find the right deterrants that won't upset my 3 dogs either (so for example, which sound-based repells are best).

I will soon have black bears in my area as well. Some already present just a few miles away. I'm using dogs and hotwire. We have honeybee colonies to protect as well.

A bigger issue for me is the expected heat we are to have in summers ahead. Somehow all these threats will be considered to protect chicken and other farm resources better.

Back
Top Bottom