Please help...Screw found in hens xray!

In case the screw and staple are still located in the digestive tract, you can feed her lots of natural sauerkraut as it will wrap around the object thus preventing cuts and injuries while helping to expel the foreign objects.

I had very good experience in doing so with my dogs, after a few days the sharp and long objects they had ingested were excreted totally wrapped in sauerkraut.
Yes, in the digestive tract... However, wouldn't the gizzard pulverate the sauerkraut before into shreds before it would even get to the screw to wrap around it?

In case the screw and staple are still located in the digestive tract, you can feed her lots of natural sauerkraut as it will wrap around the object thus preventing cuts and injuries while helping to expel the foreign objects.

I had very good experience in doing so with my dogs, after a few days the sharp and long objects they had ingested were excreted totally wrapped in sauerkraut.
Natural sauerkraut??? Where would I find that and what exactly would it be called just natural sauerkraut? Regular grocery store or do I need to go somewhere special?

Natural sauerkraut??? Where would I find that and what exactly would it be called just natural sauerkraut? Regular grocery store or do I need to go somewhere special?
You can find fresh sealed in plastic. Our grocery store has it over by the pork chops. There's also canned in a can, and canned in a jar in our store as well.

We usually just get this as it's the smallest portion of all three choices.

1715068831724.png

Yes, in the digestive tract... However, wouldn't the gizzard pulverate the sauerkraut before into shreds before it would even get to the screw to wrap around it?
Have you ever seen longer grass bits in your chickens' poop?
Not all, but some of the longer bits come out without being crushed by the gizzard, and even more so when they are not fed additional granite grit.

From the xray it might be possible that the screw had been in the bird for a long time and it might be covered in fibrous tissue (a defense mechanism). In this case the foreign object is not dangerous anymore and it is safer to leave it where it is. If the bird looks and acts normal and the screw does not move in a week, I wouldn't bother.

How much do I give her and how often? Do they like it, she's so picky (spioled to heck!)
I would assume like my fermented feed..., but a little less as it won't have the nutrients mine has. I give them 1/4 cup each every other day. For sauerkraut, I'd guess a tablespoon per day for the probiotics, but to fix the screw, I suppose way more than that!

I would assume like my fermented feed..., but a little less as it won't have the nutrients mine has. I give them 1/4 cup each every other day. For sauerkraut, I'd guess a tablespoon per day for the probiotics, but to fix the screw, I suppose way more than that!
A tablespoon per day will not help to envelop the foreign object.

Back
Top Bottom