chickenchicklady

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
Hello! I have a flock of 25 meatbirds. I posted the other day asking if my chickens is coccidiosis with no response, they’re showing new symptoms and what I thought was bloody stool, wasn’t. So I’m ruling out coccidiosis. Their new symptoms are sneezing and wheezing. They all seem to be eating and drinking as normal. It has been rather chilly these past few days. 30s-40s. And very wet. We had a roost in the tractor, but they never used it, so I took it out to make more room. Since they sleep on the ground, I give fresh bedding daily, and I move their tractor once every 2-3 days. I’m wondering how I can treat them, and I’m wondering if I should butcher early. Can you eat sick birds? Please help!

I posted the other day asking if my chickens is coccidiosis with no response, they’re showing new symptoms and what I thought was bloody stool, wasn’t. So I’m ruling out coccidiosis. Their new symptoms are sneezing and wheezing. They all seem to be eating and drinking as normal. It has been rather chilly these past few days. 30s-40s. And very wet. We had a roost in the tractor, but they never used it, so I took it out to make more room. Since they sleep on the ground, I give fresh bedding daily, and I move their tractor once every 2-3 days. I’m wondering how I can treat them, and I’m wondering if I should butcher early. Can you eat sick birds? Please help!
If you can get some more photos of poop and the birds that would be good.
Your other thread, the poop does look like intestinal shedding, but if that's consistent then I would have treated with Corid. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-sick-meatbirds.1423325/

Sneezing and wheezing could be from a number of things - from respiratory disease to molds to other conditions that may be causing fluid (Ascites).

If you were to treat respiratory symptoms with an antibiotics, Tylan (Tylosin) would the only antibiotics I would suggest. There is a one day (24hr) withdrawal when using Tylosin.
A lot depends on the cause of the symptoms whether or not an antibiotic will even help.

Butchering early may be an option as well.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/tylan-soluble.html

Poop is back to normal, nice consistency and color. But still wheezing and sneezing. It’s getting rather cold and I have no where to put them inside where it’s warmer. Typically we don’t get colder weather until mid November, if cane quite early this year. Snowing all day and pretty chilly. I don’t know what to do. I can’t butcher them until later this week, but they’re cold outside and I feel terrible. I’ve been putting and refilling 5 gallon buckets with hot water to help keep them warm (with the lid on, because I don’t want it to be anymore hiking in there) . Any suggestions? I lost one last night. Don’t know if it was too cold or if it was from being sick. We’re in the mid 30s. I gave them thicker bedding, and I insulated as best I could with cardboard. I wonder if the wheezing and sneezing is from the cold.
If you can get some more photos of poop and the birds that would be good.
Your other thread, the poop does look like intestinal shedding, but if that's consistent then I would have treated with Corid. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-sick-meatbirds.1423325/

Sneezing and wheezing could be from a number of things - from respiratory disease to molds to other conditions that may be causing fluid (Ascites).

If you were to treat respiratory symptoms with an antibiotics, Tylan (Tylosin) would the only antibiotics I would suggest. There is a one day (24hr) withdrawal when using Tylosin.
A lot depends on the cause of the symptoms whether or not an antibiotic will even help.

Butchering early may be an option as well.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/tylan-soluble.html

Poop is back to normal, nice consistency and color. But still wheezing and sneezing. It’s getting rather cold and I have no where to put them inside where it’s warmer. Typically we don’t get colder weather until mid November, if cane quite early this year. Snowing all day and pretty chilly. I don’t know what to do. I can’t butcher them until later this week, but they’re cold outside and I feel terrible. I’ve been putting and refilling 5 gallon buckets with hot water to help keep them warm (with the lid on, because I don’t want it to be anymore hiking in there) . Any suggestions? I lost one last night. Don’t know if it was too cold or if it was from being sick. We’re in the mid 30s. I gave them thicker bedding, and I insulated as best I could with cardboard. I wonder if the wheezing and sneezing is from the cold.
Where are you located in the world?
Thicker bedding may be helpful, do the best you can to help block wind, but they do need ventilation to move ammonia from droppings up and out - ammonia can definitely cause respiratory symptoms.

NW U.S.

I had a large box That our deep freezer came in, I put it in there for the night with a hole large enough for them to get in and out of that they could use as a kinda cave. I went out there to check on them and there and there were only 3-4 birds in there, the rest were huddled
Up right next to the box.. I’m not sure if that’s enough ventilation. If not, I’ll remove it tomorrow as I’m not sure they will use it anyways. I went ahead and piled more straw out there mixed with pine shavings. Hoping it helps. We will see in the morning. It’s supposed to be warmer tonight than yesterday night, so that makes me feel a little better.
Where are you located in the world?
Thicker bedding may be helpful, do the best you can to help block wind, but they do need ventilation to move ammonia from droppings up and out - ammonia can definitely cause respiratory symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom