Prolapse and bleeding

It looks like an accumulation of scabbing/poop and possibly dried tissue-hard to tell.
If the tissue itself is turning black, then you may need to debride it.

I hope to hear back that she is doing really well and that you are too:hugs
is dried tissue a death sentence for her ? brown on the side was poop.

Personally I am doing horrible. Pain is intense today . I have drs tomorrow and supposed to get 4-6 in. + snow. You could see on her butt Im keeping it moist. She hates me Im not feeding her very much and she wants more but I assume less is better right now ? There is no stank on her butt BTW

is dried tissue a death sentence for her ? brown on the side was poop.

Dried tissue is not always a death sentence, but it would need to be debrided to help get to healthy tissue - this would be soaking in something like Clorhexidine, then scrubbing the tissue until it starts to bleed a little - this would need to be done a couple of times a day to promote healthy tissue.

There are several people here that have had really dried, necrotic prolapses and they were able to get the hen back into good health.

She doesn't hate you! She's just annoyed at her situation:D

I'm so sorry to hear that you are in pain:hugs

I dont think I will scrub. It sounds painful for the hen and without pain meds I wont put her through that . I have kept it moist . I got some thinking to do on this.

Granny (Pam,) I am glad that Wyorp Rock and others have been helping you so well. The pictures of the prolapse look very dark, kind of purple-black. The first picture really looked damaged, probably from pecking. I wonder if they did some damage. Is she pooping okay? You can probably feed her more. I believe that food or protein only needs to be reduced about 25% or decrease the protein, but that is only to get them to stop laying. Most hens when they stop laying will not start again for 2 weeks.

Since she is not laying, you can feed her. Wet chicken feed would probably appeal to her. I put a tsp of yogurt or some egg in it to give more flavor.

Debriding her vent would just include using a soapy wash cloth to rough up the crusty tissue to get it to barely bleed at the end of a soak. But I didn’t see crusty tissue in your last picture, just purple, so I am not sure the vent tissue is healthy. Usually vent tissue is bright and pink. Sorry that you are feeling so bad. Wish I could help more.

Thank you @Eggcessive I can increase feed but not sure what you are saying? If its not healthy tissue will the sponge help ? I put real honey in her food . I have being giving egg to her w/ the meds mixed in But I didnt get an egg so she got crumble today. Stingy hens .

Well, Not sure what I did but I did it. I used the washcloth like you said @Eggcessive and when I brought her out of the salt water I was trying the see what that was over the healthy tissue and it was like a very thick rubber. I peeled it off all in one piece. Was pretty interesting and a bit gross butt (haha butt) it left healthy looking tissue so I tried again and it went in ! I grabbed the triple antibiotic and put a glob over her vent and she sucked it in. Hoping it might stay this time . :fl @Wyorp Rock :cool::highfive: vent itself looks normal .

Well, Not sure what I did but I did it. I used the washcloth like you said @Eggcessive and when I brought her out of the salt water I was trying the see what that was over the healthy tissue and it was like a very thick rubber. I peeled it off all in one piece. Was pretty interesting and a bit gross butt (haha butt) it left healthy looking tissue so I tried again and it went in ! I grabbed the triple antibiotic and put a glob over her vent and she sucked it in. Hoping it might stay this time . :fl @Wyorp Rock :cool::highfive: vent itself looks normal .

Sounds great Granny!

I hope she is retaining the prolapse - keep us posted:)

She sure is !! Just checked. So now what ? Back off all the meds ? Stop the tums ? Can she go back to her peeps ?

Were you giving her an antibiotic? If so, finish the course of treatment for those, otherwise I would stop the meds and see how she does.

If her vent is looking good, then I would start to re-introduce her. If she has any redness, you can apply a little pick no more or BluKote.

You did so good taking care of her Granny! I'm so very happy that she is recovering:)

Back
Top Bottom