Question about butchering #2

Jul 15, 2018
USA
Howdy y'all! I have a strange sorta question. I've been butchering today and was wondering, should you wait any amount of time before eating the meat? Like...is there some sorta curing process? Thanks in advance for y'all's help!:):)

Mine has gone straight to the freezer simply because I didnt know they were supposed to rest. Figured they had all the time in the world to rest in the freezer. LOL I dont know how tender they would of been though because I always made chicken dumplins on them.

I've tested both methods with CX and turkeys (ducks just wait until they are limber). CX I let rest in the fridge or on Ice 24-48 hours, you can tell when they limber up. Turkeys take 3-4 days for the rigor to pass. If you're making soup or chicken and dumplings with them, it probably doesn't matter. I've also found it's a lot easier to do cut-ups after the rigor has passed. And just one last tip, the feet make a great addition to stock.

I've tested both methods with CX and turkeys (ducks just wait until they are limber). CX I let rest in the fridge or on Ice 24-48 hours, you can tell when they limber up. Turkeys take 3-4 days for the rigor to pass. If you're making soup or chicken and dumplings with them, it probably doesn't matter. I've also found it's a lot easier to do cut-ups after the rigor has passed. And just one last tip, the feet make a great addition to stock.
Ah yes! I've heard about throwing the feet in to make stock! Thank you for your advice! Everyone on here is always super helpful! What is rigor? This is only my second time butchering so I'm not at all an expert. I've never heard that term before. Thank you again!

rigor mortis. Generally within an hour of processing they'll be stiff as a board. Save your bones too. Roasted bones are great for bone broth. And depending on where you are, if you have a falcon club near you, they'll buy the heads. Of course, that's just one more sort bucket under the table.

Back
Top Bottom