Question about butchering #2

With young chickens I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in letting them rest, though I think it is still a good practice. IF you have the space in a spare fridge or if the weather is below 50s for the highs, hang some for a day and put the others direct in the freezer, see which one you like better. If you can even tell. @Granny Hatchet is right, meat will age in a freezer.

Mature birds are a different story for me. I let my wild birds hang for at least one day and I have let some old chickens hang for a whole week before butchering. If you are going to hang for a long time like that, keep the guts in so the carcass doesn't dry out. It's perfectly safe if kept under 50F.

what comes to mind when you say chicken hanging
Flying-Small.gif

rigor mortis. Generally within an hour of processing they'll be stiff as a board. Save your bones too. Roasted bones are great for bone broth. And depending on where you are, if you have a falcon club near you, they'll buy the heads. Of course, that's just one more sort bucket under the table.
Lol! Yes! That is true as well! The broth has so many nutrients! Alright. Thank you so much for informing me!:D

With young chickens I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in letting them rest, though I think it is still a good practice. IF you have the space in a spare fridge or if the weather is below 50s for the highs, hang some for a day and put the others direct in the freezer, see which one you like better. If you can even tell. @Granny Hatchet is right, meat will age in a freezer.

Mature birds are a different story for me. I let my wild birds hang for at least one day and I have let some old chickens hang for a whole week before butchering. If you are going to hang for a long time like that, keep the guts in so the carcass doesn't dry out. It's perfectly safe if kept under 50F.
Alrighty! Everyone on here is so knowledgeable! Thank you for letting me know!

If any meat will make you sick by letting it rest it is chicken. Salmonella comes to mind. Anyone with a food safety course knows this. After butchering the chicken is iced immediately to cool as fast as possible. It is kept cold until bagged and frozen. This is not the 1930's and food safety with chicken should not be taken lightly.

If any meat will make you sick by letting it rest it is chicken. Salmonella comes to mind. Anyone with a food safety course knows this. After butchering the chicken is iced immediately to cool as fast as possible. It is kept cold until bagged and frozen. This is not the 1930's and food safety with chicken should not be taken lightly.
Yes, you cool it to 40* and keep it there during the rest. Sorry thought that was obvious.

Okay! Thank you for letting me know! I definitely meant resting in the fridge. I don't want to cause anyone harm. Thank you for your warning!

Back
Top Bottom