revolution ..yay!!

Billy-jean

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Hi all!
I wanted to know if anyone else uses revolution(for dogs) on their hens for mites ect....
My silkies had lice,and I had some revoltuion,so I used it on them,and they;re gone!! I also
cleaned out the shavings and replaced them,,but man,if this stuff works on the hens as it does on the dogs,I think it will change my life!!
It is suppose to keep pests off them for up to 1 month,and then you re apply in a month. Same would go for other drop ons like advantage,,I did 3 drops on their back. I used my best judgement for the administration quanitiy.
I am thrilled!!

Last edited:
Hi all!
I wanted to know if anyone else uses revolution(for dogs) on their hens for mites ect....
My silkies had lice,and I had some revoltuion,so I used it on them,and they;re gone!! I also
cleaned out the shavings and replaced them,,but man,if this stuff works on the hens as it does on the dogs,I think it will change my life!!
It is suppose to keep pests off them for up to 1 month,and then you re apply in a month. Same would go for other drop ons like advantage,,I did 3 drops on their back. I used my best judgement for the administration quanitiy.
I am thrilled!!

Wow, I have a whole bunch but its the doses for an 89 lb dog-- havent started using it yet.... How do you do this? Do you buy the dose for toy dogs ( I have Jersey Giants and there are plenty of dogs 10 lbs or less) and use it, how do you know how much to use?... I guess since its hard to acquire Revolution (they are now sticklers about proving your dog has had a negative heartworm test before selling it you) it might be easier to try Frontline which I can acquire nonprescription at Costco...

Absolutely,,any of them are great! I have a large dog as well,so I emptied the whole tube of the liquid revolution into a tubular container,then get a medication dropper(from tylenol or children's advil,ect)and measure with that..it works out to 3 drops per 5 lb of hen,,so if you have a 10 pounder,you would use 6 drops,if you have a bantam like a silkie(like mine) it's 3 drops...it would go with any size of the tube you have...:)

Revolution for Chickens
(Selamectin) is approved for use in dogs and cats, but it has been shown to be safe and highly effective in off-label use for a range of ectoparasites and some endoparasites of a variety of small mammals and birds.
Revolution has been tested to be safe and effective on: Birds such as Chickens, Ducks, Parrots etc, Rabbits, Ferrets, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters & Gerbils, Rats and Mice and Hedgehogs.

Dosage:
Dosage for all animals as a general rule is a minimum of 6mg/kg, which is equal to 0.05ml per 1.0kg (dog tube).
(If you use the cat or puppy versions, you need to give double the amount as it is only half the strength)

A chicken 3kg and under require 0.15ml
A chicken 3-4kg will need at least 0.20ml

It's a good idea to dilute the dose 50:50 in some ethanol or isopropyl alcohol to make dosing easier. It can get a bit fiddly putting 0.15ml on a chicken’s neck skin, but is much easier when it is 0.30ml

My background:
I'm a chemist who has been selling Revolution 'kits' worldwide for the past 2 years. In the kit you get everything you need to easily divide the doses to all your pets. These kits are only economical if your pets are under 35lbs (16kg) - The lighter they are the cheaper it is.
A 3kg chicken will get 20 doses from the kit I sell.

Selamectin (Revolution) is not licensed for use in birds in the United States. I am not aware of licensing on other countries. Since it is not licensed, there are no published withdrawal times for the drug in chickens. Therefore, legally you cannot use it on chickens if you intend to sell the eggs. I would also be wary about giving the eggs away. That being said, it is a fairly innocuous drug, and I personally would not be too afraid of using it occasionally on a backyard flock if the eggs were only for personal use. I would not use it monthly, but instead on an as needed basis.

Revolution for Chickens
(Selamectin) is approved for use in dogs and cats, but it has been shown to be safe and highly effective in off-label use for a range of ectoparasites and some endoparasites of a variety of small mammals and birds.
Revolution has been tested to be safe and effective on: Birds such as Chickens, Ducks, Parrots etc, Rabbits, Ferrets, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters & Gerbils, Rats and Mice and Hedgehogs.

Dosage:
Dosage for all animals as a general rule is a minimum of 6mg/kg, which is equal to 0.05ml per 1.0kg (dog tube).
(If you use the cat or puppy versions, you need to give double the amount as it is only half the strength)

A chicken 3kg and under require 0.15ml
A chicken 3-4kg will need at least 0.20ml

It's a good idea to dilute the dose 50:50 in some ethanol or isopropyl alcohol to make dosing easier. It can get a bit fiddly putting 0.15ml on a chicken’s neck skin, but is much easier when it is 0.30ml

My background:
I'm a chemist who has been selling Revolution 'kits' worldwide for the past 2 years. In the kit you get everything you need to easily divide the doses to all your pets. These kits are only economical if your pets are under 35lbs (16kg) - The lighter they are the cheaper it is.
A 3kg chicken will get 20 doses from the kit I sell.
That's good information,thank you!!

Yes,agreed,,I would only use it as I see fit,,and only through the summer. we have a lot of sparrows and blackbirds in our area carrying all kinds of pests,so I like the idea of keeping them protected during the infestation months :))

Selamectin (Revolution) is not licensed for use in birds in the United States. I am not aware of licensing on other countries. Since it is not licensed, there are no published withdrawal times for the drug in chickens. Therefore, legally you cannot use it on chickens if you intend to sell the eggs. I would also be wary about giving the eggs away. That being said, it is a fairly innocuous drug, and I personally would not be too afraid of using it occasionally on a backyard flock if the eggs were only for personal use. I would not use it monthly, but instead on an as needed basis.

Yeah, like most of the drugs we use on our chickens, they are not licenced for chickens, but instead are used 'off-label' as recommended by vets. A very good veterinary paper about using it on birds and other animals is here: Efficacy and Safety of Selamectin Used Off-Label in Exotic Pets http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol5Iss3/Beck 87-96.pdf

Selamectin is considered to be a 'semi-synthetic' Avermectin. Selamectin and its related Avermectin compounds are non toxic. Selamectin is harmless if ingested by dog, cats and humans.
Another Avermectin is 'Ivermectin' and many people (on chicken forums) do not bother with a withholding period for eggs after Ivermectin. As Selamectin is in the same class, I would treat it the same way.

Avermectins are insecticidal/miticidal compounds derived from the soil bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis. It acts as an insecticide by affecting the nervous system of and paralyzing insects. Avermectins such as Abamectin are used to control insect and mite pests of citrus, pear, and nut tree crops (it gets put on our food)

Tests with laboratory animals show that ingested avermectin is not readily absorbed into the bloodstream by mammals and that it is rapidly eliminated from the body within 2 days via the feces.
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/abamecti.htm

Absolutely,,any of them are great! I have a large dog as well,so I emptied the whole tube of the liquid revolution into a tubular container,then get a medication dropper(from tylenol or children's advil,ect)and measure with that..it works out to 3 drops per 5 lb of hen,,so if you have a 10 pounder,you would use 6 drops,if you have a bantam like a silkie(like mine) it's 3 drops...it would go with any size of the tube you have...:)

Wow great thanks you guys, very helpful!

Very helpful indeed~!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom