Rhode Island

Any idea what towns allow roosters?
Still trying to get definite answers.
I've scoured most of the ordinances and this is what I have found.

From what I've seen on posted ordinances that allow cockerels -- Foster/Gloucester, West Greenwich, Charlestown, S. Kingstown, Coventry (ish, at least online say yes), Tiverton, Westerly

Non-specified limit on cockerels: East Greenwich (though I doubt it since N. Kingstown, Warwick, and W. Warwick are a No)

I can tell you that these are hard No's for roosters unless you're designated as farmland or have 5-10+ acres: W. Warwick, N. Kingstown, Johnston, Cranston, Richmond, Providence, Pawtucket, Newport, N. Smithfield, Cumberland, Bristol, Barrington, Warren

However, a lot of what I have read, if there are enough noise complaints you can be fined by the town. East Greenwich is a prime example, as I expect that being such a nice area, they don't want rowdy roosters upsetting close neighbors.

I would definitely ring your local office. A lot of the rooster allowing towns still have regulations. Coventry you have to keep roosters at least 300 feet from property lines at all times to avoid being a nuisance. Honestly, I think it just depends on your neighbors, if you have any that close by.

For towns that you would need to call about regulations: Hopkinton, Portsmouth, Burrillville, Little Compton, Exeter

I can edit this list as necessary. This is just from what I've found online and the regulations may not be as up to date as possible.

--- Also hello! I'm a new keeper out in W. Warwick. I was curious about ordinances around the state which is what led me down this rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Hello RI Peeps!

Calling out an upcoming event that may be of interest to some.

Community Seed Exchange @ Revive the Roots​

Date and time​

Sun, March 12, 2023, 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT

Location​

374 Farnum Pike Smithfield, RI 02917

RSVP/Info

I will likely be there, checking out their chickens and running a sensory compost table for kids. Come out and check it out, swap some seeds, and support a great organization.

Hello RI Peeps!

Calling out an upcoming event that may be of interest to some.

Community Seed Exchange @ Revive the Roots​

Date and time​

Sun, March 12, 2023, 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT

Location​

374 Farnum Pike Smithfield, RI 02917

RSVP/Info

I will likely be there, checking out their chickens and running a sensory compost table for kids. Come out and check it out, swap some seeds, and support a great organization.
Thank you for this info!!

Can you tell me a little bit more about this? I see that it is kid friendly based on your sensory compost kids table part.

There is good potential I can make it!

I've scoured most of the ordinances and this is what I have found.

From what I've seen on posted ordinances that allow cockerels -- Foster/Gloucester, West Greenwich, Charlestown, S. Kingstown, Coventry (ish, at least online say yes), Tiverton, Westerly

Non-specified limit on cockerels: East Greenwich (though I doubt it since N. Kingstown, Warwick, and W. Warwick are a No)

I can tell you that these are hard No's for roosters unless you're designated as farmland or have 5-10+ acres: W. Warwick, N. Kingstown, Johnston, Cranston, Richmond, Providence, Pawtucket, Newport, N. Smithfield, Cumberland, Bristol, Barrington, Warren

However, a lot of what I have read, if there are enough noise complaints you can be fined by the town. East Greenwich is a prime example, as I expect that being such a nice area, they don't want rowdy roosters upsetting close neighbors.

I would definitely ring your local office. A lot of the rooster allowing towns still have regulations. Coventry you have to keep roosters at least 300 feet from property lines at all times to avoid being a nuisance. Honestly, I think it just depends on your neighbors, if you have any that close by.

For towns that you would need to call about regulations: Hopkinton, Portsmouth, Burrillville, Little Compton, Exeter

I can edit this list as necessary. This is just from what I've found online and the regulations may not be as up to date as possible.

--- Also hello! I'm a new keeper out in W. Warwick. I was curious about ordinances around the state which is what led me down this rabbit hole.
Thank you for this!!! I appreciate your hard work! I have a small child and don’t get a chance to call places without being interrupted.

What kind of chickens do you have?
It is always nice to meet a new chicken lover!

Thank you for this info!!

Can you tell me a little bit more about this? I see that it is kid friendly based on your sensory compost kids table part.

There is good potential I can make it!
This is my first time attending the seed swap, Revive the Roots is a great organization. They are into permaculture gardening, but also very into being a "community commons" for people in the community to gather. I may bring some seeds, but I probably won't bring any home. Even with that being the case, I expect it will be a fun day.

Every event I've attended at the site has been kid friendly. There are garden areas, woodland paths, and small orchards to explore. There are chickens and sheep to say "hello" to. They have always been low key, welcoming, yet knowledgeable about permaculture.

I know they'll be doing a soil block demonstration as well. I have to imagine kids would love making "mud brownies"!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
This is my first time attending the seed swap, Revive the Roots is a great organization. They are into permaculture gardening, but also very into being a "community commons" for people in the community to gather. I may bring some seeds, but I probably won't bring any home. Even with that being the case, I expect it will be a fun day.

Every event I've attended at the site has been kid friendly. There are garden areas, woodland paths, and small orchards to explore. There are chickens and sheep to say "hello" to. They have always been low key, welcoming, yet knowledgeable about permaculture.

I know they'll be doing a soil block demonstration as well. I have to imagine kids would love making "mud brownies"!

Hope that helps!
THANK YOU!
I don’t have any seeds to bring.
Though I do have a ton of marigold seeds I saved from last year. Do people look down upon you if you don’t bring any seeds? I will write this on my calendar and probably go. Even if we just show up to check it out.

THANK YOU!
I don’t have any seeds to bring.
Though I do have a ton of marigold seeds I saved from last year. Do people look down upon you if you don’t bring any seeds? I will write this on my calendar and probably go. Even if we just show up to check it out.
I wouldn't expect you'd be looked down on. If you want, you can always grab a few seed packets from the store and bring those. I will probably grab some packets to contribute, but don't have anything I've saved myself to contribute.

Poulin Grain at TLC in West Greenwich

We just called over to TLC landscaping in West Greenwich, and they're now carrying Poulin grain. This is nice, since our local distributor (T&J Grain) closed up shop a few years ago. The price is actually a few cents per 50 lb bag than TSC's price for their Dumor brand.

TLC is located about 5 min off Rt 95 exits 18 and 19 (former exits 6 and 6A).

I'm in no way affiliated with TLC, other than I've been a customer of theirs in the past. I just prefer buying a higher quality grain from a local business.

Poulin Grain at TLC in West Greenwich

We just called over to TLC landscaping in West Greenwich, and they're now carrying Poulin grain. This is nice, since our local distributor (T&J Grain) closed up shop a few years ago. The price is actually a few cents per 50 lb bag than TSC's price for their Dumor brand.

TLC is located about 5 min off Rt 95 exits 18 and 19 (former exits 6 and 6A).

I'm in no way affiliated with TLC, other than I've been a customer of theirs in the past. I just prefer buying a higher quality grain from a local business.
Do they use bioengineered ingredients?

Back
Top Bottom