Silkie and project egg Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I've heard of Silkies hatching sooner than day 21, but it's never happened to me. Before I got my brinsea incubator I often had chicks hatching days past the hatch date due to temperature issues.
When I candled them when putting them into lockdown I noticed egg 9 was very dark. It was mostly dark with not much room between the darkness and the airsack. All the eggs were set at the same time (except 32 which is a day younger than the rest) yet here we are.

It's about day 18,5 and we have an external pip! The little overachiever is egg 9 AKA @Aardyn 's Demeter/Chiron.

I'm not a hatching expert (I've done maybe about 10 incubator hatches thus far) so I'm not sure if this is a cause for concern. Please let me know it is.

20240228_160905.jpg

:ya:jumpy come on chickies!
I've heard of Silkies hatching sooner than day 21, but it's never happened to me. Before I got my brinsea incubator I often had chicks hatching days past the hatch date due to temperature issues.
When I candled them when putting them into lockdown I noticed egg 9 was very dark. It was mostly dark with not much room between the darkness and the airsack. All the eggs were set at the same time (except 32 which is a day younger than the rest) yet here we are.

It's about day 18,5 and we have an external pip! The little overachiever is egg 9 AKA @Aardyn 's Demeter/Chiron.

I'm not a hatching expert (I've done maybe about 10 incubator hatches thus far) so I'm not sure if this is a cause for concern. Please let me know it is.

I don't know anything about incubating and even less about silkies, I just cheer them on 😁. Let me tag a couple of silkie hatching experts -

@2ndTink and @Debbie292d

View attachment 3759314
My last hatch I had two come early. That was my OdoBan hatchalong and I believe two came on day 19, a few more on Day 20, and the rest Day 21. Some sites will tell you silkies take 19 days but most say 21. I've usually found it to be a few always on Day 20 though.

I'm not quite sure what's going on but we have more tiny pips. A few other eggs have made very tiny little bumps in their shells. The ones I see are eggs 29, 28, and 16, but there may be more that I've missed cause the pips are so small.

I wonder... Maybe hearing my 5 loud, chattery budgies is encouraging the chicks to pip? They seem to be making little peeps in the eggs whenever one of the budgies makes a louder chirp. Though I also hatched last year in the same room with the same incubator and the same settings and I didn't get any pips this early.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom