Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

Pics
Debbie292d is 4B still open I would name them Jack/Jill
Love the name Jack!

I know my rooster hides under the porch when it snows and he refuses to walk across the yard to go back in his coop at night and I have to crawl under there and get him and he goes the other way. I just have to say "Jack" in my Boy your in trouble voice, he also replies to Jackson when he's really bad. And he comes out and lets me pick him and hold him and take him back to the coop holding him like a baby.

Me too! I was going threw the buttons going what does this one do, and that one, and oh that one?!
Peter Griffin Work GIF

Only 4 eggs are left to claim or name. :highfive:

Those incubators are in our bedroom so all I'll hear for the next nearly 3 weeks is the egg turners, except the NR360 with the shipped eggs won't be turning for two more days.

Somehow I missed the boat on my other 3 batches of shipped eggs and had them turning from Day 1. I still had decent hatch rates but lately I've been reading most leave the turner off for 3 days for shipped eggs. That's driving me nuts not to run it, but old dogs need to learn new tricks. :old

I've done hatches where I started turning on day one and some hatches waited until day 3 to turn. Occasionally I've gotten more blood rings when I start turning on day 1 however not enough of them to be positive about this. There is probably more to this than blood rings....maybe not turning too soon allows to yolk to settle and stick giving the embryo a better sense of position, and I'm sure by day 3 the air cell is more developed. Either way I don't think turning on day 1 is a disaster. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. :D

I've done hatches where I started turning on day one and some hatches waited until day 3 to turn. Occasionally I've gotten more blood rings when I start turning on day 1 however not enough of them to be positive about this. There is probably more to this than blood rings....maybe not turning too soon allows to yolk to settle and stick giving the embryo a better sense of position, and I'm sure by day 3 the air cell is more developed. Either way I don't think turning on day 1 is a disaster. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. :D
Thank you for your input! You made me feel better as I never read an explanation, just people saying that's how to do it. :hugs

I just wondered about them sitting there in the NR360 on their sides though. At least in the Brinsea they stand upright. Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Thank you for your input! You made me feel better as I never read an explanation, just people saying that's how to do it. :hugs

I just wondered about them sitting there in the NR360 on their sides though. At least in the Brinsea they stand upright. Perhaps that doesn't matter?
Lots of these machines have the eggs on their sides, I don't like eggs to lay completely prone, in the wild hens make a bowl like nest and eggs lay on a slight angle. In my mind, the chick may not know which way to turn for the hatching position if an egg is not tilted to some degree, or even grow in a bad position. I've used Brinsea incubators and R-Coms. In the R-Com I am able to set the eggs with a slight tilt up. As the eggs turn, sometimes the eggs work their way back to prone but I fiddle daily to keep the eggs tilted up a tad. Even the smallest tilt is good enough. But this is me, I have OCD about everything, so..... :lau

This said, if it's possible to set your eggs a tad upward or rig them in this fashion with something, I'd do it.

I haven't read any studies comparing the two methods, but it is interesting that Brinsea shows you can do either prone or upright. It seems if there was a recommendation they would say one way or the other? I did my first hatch in the NR360 and everything that started and wasn't an early quitter, made it to lockdown and successfully hatched. The second hatch was in the Brinsea and I had those on their sides too, great hatch from my flock's eggs. My next hatch they will be vertical though 🤣 I'm stuffing that 56 to at least a 62 🤣

Lots of these machines have the eggs on their sides, I don't like eggs to lay completely prone, in the wild hens make a bowl like nest and eggs lay on a slight angle. In my mind, the chick may not know which way to turn for the hatching position if an egg is not tilted to some degree, or even grow in a bad position. I've used Brinsea incubators and R-Coms. In the R-Com I am able to set the eggs with a slight tilt up. As the eggs turn, sometimes the eggs work their way back to prone but I fiddle daily to keep the eggs tilted up a tad. Even the smallest tilt is good enough. But this is me, I have OCD about everything, so..... :lau

This said, if it's possible to set your eggs a tad upward or rig them in this fashion with something, I'd do it.
Hey, you know what works, a hen fiddles with the eggs daily too, so it sounds like you are on to something!

I haven't read any studies comparing the two methods, but it is interesting that Brinsea shows you can do either prone or upright. It seems if there was a recommendation they would say one way or the other? I did my first hatch in the NR360 and everything that started and wasn't an early quitter, made it to lockdown and successfully hatched. The second hatch was in the Brinsea and I had those on their sides too, great hatch from my flock's eggs. My next hatch they will be vertical though 🤣 I'm stuffing that 56 to at least a 62 🤣
@TwoCrows always has a way to make sense of things we scratch our heads over. 🥰 As I was typing transcription I kept thinking about this, then it struck me that both Nature Right and Brinsea are probably multi-million-dollar companies and wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't make quality products. Plus, what you said Tink about Brinsea showing it done both ways.

This never bothered me in the past, but I always had them turning every couple of hours and they hatch fine. It makes sense if they're turning maybe not such a big deal, but when stuck in place for three days, maybe it does.

So, I "fiddled" with them and got all 18 leaning upward slightly now. I figure if any were starting to stick at all to a side, the little 1/4 turn they all got won't hurt either. :D

shipped eggs 1-8-24.jpg

Back
Top Bottom