Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

Pics
The standard / minimum for layers is 16%. At least locally for me, that's all you're going to find unless you get an all flock or the Feather Fixer.
That's what it is everywhere I believe.

We used to use Dumor at TSC (16%) until I got tired of them always being out of stock on that and the chick starter. A year ago or so I tried Kalmbach's on Chewy as that's not sold here. At least I get both within 2-3 days, but their layer crumbles are 16% too. In the summer, they get bugs, grass, weeds, sunflower seeds under the bird feeders, plus fermented grains 3X week, etc. so they get more protein.

In winter, I mix the layer with the same brand's flock maker (20%). I have sealable 25# tubs next door in the garden shed and hubby helps me mix 2 of those up. I sprinkle a little bit of Rooster Booster granules in there while he's mixing it. They get fermented grain daily.

Beats me if this is what's best, but they all are healthy and look good. 🐥

I saw someone elsewhere say curtains helped the egg eaters and that it wasn't protein, just a habit.

That's what it is everywhere I believe.

We used to use Dumor at TSC (16%) until I got tired of them always being out of stock on that and the chick starter. A year ago or so I tried Kalmbach's on Chewy as that's not sold here. At least I get both within 2-3 days, but their layer crumbles are 16% too. In the summer, they get bugs, grass, weeds, sunflower seeds under the bird feeders, plus fermented grains 3X week, etc. so they get more protein.

In winter, I mix the layer with the same brand's flock maker (20%). I have sealable 25# tubs next door in the garden shed and hubby helps me mix 2 of those up. I sprinkle a little bit of Rooster Booster granules in there while he's mixing it. They get fermented grain daily.

Beats me if this is what's best, but they all are healthy and look good. 🐥

I saw someone elsewhere say curtains helped the egg eaters and that it wasn't protein, just a habit.
Yeah, I think it's a habit, I'm not sure how much the protein impacts it, but I'm hoping it helps 😬 of course when I collected eggs last night one slipped out of my clumsy gloved hands and broke on the floor. I cleaned it up, hopefully well enough. It would be so aggravating if it reminded then of their naughty habit...

Good morning eggies! Time to get your grow on!

Happy Dance GIF by foodieg

Back
Top Bottom