SOS PLEASE HELP!!!! Chickens are SO loud. I am at my breaking point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to be so dramatic, but it's true, I am really at my breaking point and have no idea what to do.

I live in a suburban neighborhood and all of our houses are relatively close together. Hens are not illegal to have and, in fact, others in the neighborhood have them but I've never heard them. It is winter now thankfully so people don't have their windows open but everyday my chickens are SO loud and so incessant.

I have 6 hens that are quite young. Like 8 months old. They recently started laying eggs, about 2 months ago. I just don't get why they are so loud for hours in the morning, usually starting before it is even light outside and they're off their roost. The main culprits are both my buff Orpingtons and 1 of my black australorps, but especially one of the Orrington.

There's 6 of them and they have 3 nest boxes, three different things to stand on, water that is never frozen, food 24/7, an enclosed run, and the yard is open for them to free range in which they haven't been lately because of the snow. They have everything they need! So why do they keep going off?

NO, this is no an egg song.... I honestly rarely hear that even though I've been getting 2-4 eggs/day.

This is just very loud, incessant squawking. I've gone out and yelled at them (I know this is ridiculous), picked her up, pressed down on her to show domination, no matter what it only stops her for like a minute.

I'm petrified the neighbors can hear and that they're hating me more and more. We have a tight knit community and yes, I care.... also even if they didn't hear, this wakes me up every single morning and is like nails on a chalkboard.....

I love my chickens and don't want to get rid of them, even the most annoying one. This all started when they started laying eggs... before that everything was totally fine. I just don't know what to do! Any advice? Is this normal? Will they work themselves out? Everything I've read says it takes hens a month to adjust to laying eggs, etc but it has been 2 months now.

I created an account just to make this post. Please help, I'm desperate! Sorry I sound like a baby, I am just at a loss...

Edit: just want to mention the last thing on Earth I want to do is rehome them. That would be absolutely last resort. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I can do something more. I'm stumped as to why they start going off when it's still dark and they're on the roost, let alone continuing for hours. I truly do love them!!!! I do, it's just that I don't know how to make them content and I'm feeling in over my head at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbors have their coop at the fence next to their neighbors house. Their girls were extremely loud in the morning at first light and they were afraid it would bother them and cause a complaint. This was summer time when daylight starts between 5 & 6. My neighbor added a darkening shade to the windows of the coop. They get let out between 7 & 8 in the summer, and it helped keep them quieter until then. Just a suggestion as I don’t know if yours are loud before the pop door comes up.

Also, maybe try adding some fun distractions to the run, like a pile of straw or dried leaves. If they are scratching & pecking maybe there will be less squawking. Are any of your chickens quiet? (You said there is one loud one in particular, wondering about the other 5.)Do you feed them treats when you go out to yell at them? Are they doing it to get your attention?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Some chickens are louder than others. If you are worried about the neighbors, you could gift them eggs and ask them about it. Since you have one particularly loud hen, you could consider selling just her and keeping the others. If you decide that chicken-keeping isn't for you, know that you will likely have an easy time selling young hens and their equipment. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Honestly, if you know the neighbors- just ask them if the hens are too loud. You may be stressing over this and they're like "what hens"? You can easily approach it by saying:

"Hi neighbor, I was concerned my hens may be bothering you- they seem a little louder than they have been in the past. I was considering rehoming a few but wanted to talk to you first.".

They're either going to say 75% chance: What are you talking about? Or 25% chance: Thank you so much, yes they are incredibly loud.

Ether way you get your answer, stop stressing, and move on. :)

HOWEVER, if it is YOU at your wits end and not because you are worried about the neighbors. Just get rid of them. They're chickens, post on craigslist 2-3 free hens they'll be gone by the weekend.

Can you please post pictures of your setup? You didn't really describe all the things they have to do in the run and what size the run is.
It sounds like they are bored and that is enhancing the normal behavior of being very loud in the morning. My flock makes quite the ruckus for several hours in the mornings when egg laying will soon commence and during the entire process.

I wish some one give you solution but you know i think their is some breeds that are noisiest than other like easter egger hen
If not may be change their feeding system and type

I think the only solution is you should change them by other or built sound proof home

My neighbors have their coop at the fence next to their neighbors house. Their girls were extremely loud in the morning at first light and they were afraid it would bother them and cause a complaint. This was summer time when daylight starts between 5 & 6. My neighbor added a darkening shade to the windows of the coop. They get let out between 7 & 8 in the summer, and it helped keep them quieter until then. Just a suggestion as I don’t know if yours are loud before the pop door comes up.

Also, maybe try adding some fun distractions to the run, like a pile of straw or dried leaves. If they are scratching & pecking maybe there will be less squawking. Are any of your chickens quiet? (You said there is one loud one in particular, wondering about the other 5.)Do you feed them treats when you go out to yell at them? Are they doing it to get your attention?
3 of them are pretty quiet! Two of them are basically mute lol. No treats when I go out there to scold them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom