Sour Crop worried im not giving correct medication need help

Lewistippy

Hatching
Mar 27, 2024
I have a 4 year old hen Ethel that for about 4 days had a full crop squishy like a balloon. She would throw up fluid any time she was picked up or moved. Thanks to this wonderful forum I found out it was sour crop but honestly was afraid to try to empty the crop myself and called around to find a vet that would see her. Miraculously I did. I have owned chickens for years and have never been able to find one. She said they see chickens but don't usually treat chickens. Desperate I took Ethel in yesterday. The vet was very clear this was all new to her but was happy to try to help. She was able to induce vomiting and got a lot of fluid out. She also gave her a little molasses and fluid under the skin. I was and am so thankful but im unsure of the antifungal they gave...when I looked it up at home it said not used to treat candidiasis. Which im no vet but I thought that's what sour crop was. They gave her griseofulvin 25 mg/ml per ml. Instructions are no food or water for 24 hours now only yogurt and 3 ml of the griseofulvin once a day. Which we have started. Has anyone have any experience in using this for sour crop? Any input is greatly appreciated

I have had great success treating sour crop with acidified copper sulfate (ACS).
I isolate the hen within the flock and make a mash for her using the ACS solution and the ACS solution is all she has to drink. I treat for 5 days then release the hen.

I also routinely feed fermented feed to the flock but will give that feed a kick with a good sized glug of kefir for 3-5 days in a row to help her (and the others in the flock) colonize beneficial bacteria in the GI system.

Griseofulvin is an old drug that has been used to treat fungal skin infections in people. It is not something that most chicken owners use. I would get either Monistat or miconazole (the generic,) cream or suppositories. Another drug used for oral yeast/candida infection is prescription drug Nystatin, and your vet could prescribe that. It is given twice a day. But you can get Medistatin powder online for birds which is the same without a prescription. It is mixed in water and given orally with a syringe. The Monistat you could get today at most WalMarts and other pharmacies. Many do use the acidified copper sulfate, and that is sold online. It has to be acidified. McMurray, Jedds, and other sell acidified copper sulfate, and here is one:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html
Dosage is 1/4 tsp per gallon of water

Here is where to get Medistatin (nystatin powder)
https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet
Dosage is 5 grams mixed in moist food daily for 7 days.

Last edited:
I have had great success treating sour crop with acidified copper sulfate (ACS).
I isolate the hen within the flock and make a mash for her using the ACS solution and the ACS solution is all she has to drink. I treat for 5 days then release the hen.

I also routinely feed fermented feed to the flock but will give that feed a kick with a good sized glug of kefir for 3-5 days in a row to help her (and the others in the flock) colonize beneficial bacteria in the GI system.
Thank you! I may give this a shot

Last edited:
Griseofulvin is an old drug that has been used to treat fungal skin infections in people. It is not something that most chicken owners use. I would get either Monistat or miconazole (the generic,) cream or suppositories. Another drug used for oral yeast/candida infection is prescription drug Nystatin, and your vet could prescribe that. It is given twice a day. But you can get Medistatin powder online for birds which is the same without a prescription. It is mixed in water and given orally with a syringe. The Monistat you could get today at most WalMarts and other pharmacies. Many do use the acidified copper sulfate, and that is sold online. It has to be acidified. McMurray, Jedds, and other sell acidified copper sulfate, and here is one:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

Here is where to get Medistatin (nystatin powder)
https://jedds.com/products/medistatin-medpet
Thank you so much! We started with the Monistat but her before I took her to the vet when the crop was still full. She still has a bit of fluid this morning but much better then before. That's what I was wondering maybe I should just continue the monistat.

Do you notice a sour or bad odor from the beak? I don’t recommend making a chicken with sour crop vomit because it can cause them to aspirate and die. Be careful picking up the chicken to not squeeze the crop, or lean them forward since they will spit up. The vet could use a crop or feeding tube to flush and aspirate the crop to empty it. That is a bit safer. I would not feed any whole grains, but she needs some mushy very wet chicken feed and raw egg would give some protein. Plain Greek yogurt can give some probiotics.

Thank you so much! We started with the Monistat but her before I took her to the vet when the crop was still full. She stil has a bit of fluid this morning but much better then before. Thays what I was wondering maybe I should just continue

Do you notice a sour or bad odor from the beak? I don’t recommend making a chicken with sour crop vomit because it can cause them to aspirate and die. Be careful picking up the chicken to not squeeze the crop, or lean them forward since they will spit up. The vet could use a crop or feeding tube to flush and aspirate the crop to empty it. That is a bit safer. I would not feed any whole grains, but she needs some mushy very wet chicken feed and raw egg would give some protein. Plain Greek yogurt can give some probiotics.
Yes she does have an odor..the smell was terrible! I haven't given her anything since the vet yesterday evening. Only the griseofulvin. I was going to give a little yogurt this evening after the 24 hrs. Everytime we move her she spits a little fluid and it stinks awful so that was my concern as well. I didn't want to get anything in her lungs.

Back
Top Bottom