Strobe lights for hawk deterrent

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
Good morning. We have a real problem with hawks and I hate leaving my flock locked up 24/7. Even with me sitting outside in their fenced area, the hawks are brazen. We have an area fenced around our coop - approx 40x30.

My question is - has anyone tried strobe lights to deter the hawks? I don’t see how I can cover this large of an area with netting and have it last. TIA!!

I haven't tried it, and really don't want to either. I don't see how it would help without disturbing everyone else! All birds, wild critters, chickens, and humans.
I think it would make more sense to go with netting!
@cmom has a lot of experience using netting, and some others here, and at least you could have a smaller safe area for them.
Mary

I haven't tried it, and really don't want to either. I don't see how it would help without disturbing everyone else! All birds, wild critters, chickens, and humans.
I think it would make more sense to go with netting!
@cmom has a lot of experience using netting, and some others here, and at least you could have a smaller safe area for them.
Mary

My thought was to put them on the fence posts facing up - would not be an issue for humans or the chickens.

Any trees in the area? Tie up old CDs and let them spin in the wind probably cheaper then strobe lights

We have three large bushes in the corner - I do need to get something in the open area for them to hide under. But these hawks are brutal. I had one swoop down with me standing right there. Have you had serious luck with CDs?

Well I'm a newbie BUT we use CD'S and Owl decoys and they have STOPPED our hawk attacks completely. Academy sells($10 each) decoys that have a clip on the back to let you attach it to a fence. We have hung ours from trees on each end of the coop run. I highly recommend the CD'S and they don't seem to bother anyone except the Raptors.

Any trees in the area? Tie up old CDs and let them spin in the wind probably cheaper then strobe lights

Just three bushes and a big open area in front. Here’s a pic. I have owl decoys on each side that I move around. They hawks could care less about the owls :(
1BDB00D6-B8B8-42DA-A3E8-FCD2D9702FDF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom