Surviving Minnesota!

Ralphie, the Appeltini's are doing great. Nearly an egg each per day form the hens, and the cock is very docile and has a great alarm clock crow.

The PC rooster is yet having the leg issue. I think it may have been broken and is taking it's own time healing. He is getting around better, but have not seen him mount a hen yet. All in due time. He is a nice bird, and I am patient.

Rhett's our garden is not in either. I've done June seeds on gardens and still turned out albeit a later harvest. There's been nice falls as of late giving that cushion. Time just gets away.

I get so frustrated some times with our garden season. Plant too soon and frosts and hailstorms take them out. Then frost in September has me picking veggies I can't get covered. And that is if the rain hasn't drowned them since I live in the bottom of the bowl here.

Hey guys! I'm in southern Minnesota (30 mins from twin cities) and wondering if anyone has connections for guinea fowl. The ticks here are absolutely horrible! I'm in the process of building a coop for my hens but would like to get guinea fowl to hopefully control the tick population for a little bit (and beyond). Thanks in advance!

Ralphie, the Appeltini's are doing great. Nearly an egg each per day form the hens, and the cock is very docile and has a great alarm clock crow.

The PC rooster is yet having the leg issue. I think it may have been broken and is taking it's own time healing. He is getting around better, but have not seen him mount a hen yet. All in due time. He is a nice bird, and I am patient.

Just my luck you got the Appletinis that were laying eggs! I am fairly sure the rooster will do his job, the one (DOM) I have with no feet tries to do his job. He needs a patient hen though..

I get so frustrated some times with our garden season. Plant too soon and frosts and hailstorms take them out. Then frost in September has me picking veggies I can't get covered. And that is if the rain hasn't drowned them since I live in the bottom of the bowl here.
It's awful. I'm near to giving up on stuff like watermelon... 5 years and still no fruit big enough to harvest. Frost always takes it out.

Hey guys! I'm in southern Minnesota (30 mins from twin cities) and wondering if anyone has connections for guinea fowl. The ticks here are absolutely horrible! I'm in the process of building a coop for my hens but would like to get guinea fowl to hopefully control the tick population for a little bit (and beyond). Thanks in advance!

I can't help you as i have been guinea free for 21 days now. I will be getting my one month pin soon!

Holm might be able to help you he is still addicted to them,

I got great watermelons last year, the first year ever that I can recall....
I best keep trying then, maybe I'll get watermelon in another decade.

About 10 years ago I planted snow peas. They took off, grew taller than me, and were loaded. Just beautiful. Every year since I've tried to grow them, but never could get them that good ever again... I've had soil tests done, nothing too wrong. Plants are fickle. :confused:

Congrats on your soon to be one month! Hopefully he chimes in. To be honest they creep me out but I'm at my wits end with the ticks. Thanks much!
Ticks are bad this year, eh. I got guineas for ticks last year---useless beasts wouldn't go out of the run, they were too scared. I hope you get "normal" guineas.

Back
Top Bottom