Surviving Minnesota!

View attachment 1041042 View attachment 1041043

Looks like we are in for some nasty weather....

Well, The price of everything you are getting from me just doubled!!!

You have ruined my day..

I was sitting here talking to Judy, (Ok listening to her ramble on as I stared at the bird feeder)..Well not listening really.. just not able to tune her out completely.... (BTW yes, I am the perfect husband).....

Enjoying the Oriole eating grape jelly and watching the trees sway in the gentle breeze and catching up on byc...

THEN YOU!!!! post a picture of a huge storm on radar, that will be hitting me sometime today....WHY?

I was happy thinking a nice day to leisurely get things done.

You are a evil tony handed young man!!!:lau

Good morning all!!

Siggie: These Broody/Chick photos are amazing. I love them. My Wyandotte has a single comb as well. Jerry said that rose comb Wyandottes are actually hard trait to set? So hatcheries keep working on it but chicks will sometimes hatch with single combs. She is a lovely Gold laced Wyandotte. She's a bucket list bird for me. At some point in time I will have one. I've got the Silver (although her feathering is very odd for SLW) and I have the bLRW. Love her. Laying eggs like a Pullet at 3 years old. Big as a house too.... crazy bird.

Kids got their permits by passing that written test. Two 15 year olds fighting for the right to drive my car. Arg....I like driving myself...tBH. Little bit selfish of me I know.

Thanks! I have two pretty GLW's but the other has the rose comb. Wish they would hatch some of their own though. I can tell that neither of the GLW's are being bred because all my other hens are bald thanks to the Roo's but these two have all their feathers except the other one is missing some back feathers? Not sure if that is from the pecking order, the Roo's or maybe even something tried to grab her? But she doesn't seem to mind the slight draft on her behind LOL!

And now that silly broody with her single child refuses to go into the coop at night!!! She slept outside with the chick next to the coop door??? I tried for 20 minutes and suffered about a thousand mosquito bites trying to get her to go in? I was nervous all night listening for any kind of screeching or predators. My run is secure but if something REALLY wants to get at them, I was always a little more comfortable with them having to go through the run AND the coop walls if they wanted them that badly.
She is crazy protective and all the others seem REALLY curious about this chick (especially the other 11 chicken teens) so she is on guard constantly! I threw the other 3 eggs away. She never went back in and nobody else wanted to sit on them like they usually do...maybe she knew they were bad?

And of course now one of my original broodies is sitting on a nest *heavy sigh* what the heck am I gonna do with all these chicks if they continue to hatch them????

Oh boy, I do not envy you two teens driving!! at least I had a tiny break in between my two! GOOD LUCK!

Well, The price of everything you are getting from me just doubled!!!

You have ruined my day..

I was sitting here talking to Judy, (Ok listening to her ramble on as I stared at the bird feeder)..Well not listening really.. just not able to tune her out completely.... (BTW yes, I am the perfect husband).....

Enjoying the Oriole eating grape jelly and watching the trees sway in the gentle breeze and catching up on byc...

THEN YOU!!!! post a picture of a huge storm on radar, that will be hitting me sometime today....WHY?

I was happy thinking a nice day to leisurely get things done.

You are a evil tony handed young man!!!:lau

:lau I am sorry for ruining your day Ralphie. But wouldn't you rather be aware that it might rain instead of be working on a project and have it suddenly start raining on you? :lau:p

Good morning all!!

Thanks! I have two pretty GLW's but the other has the rose comb. Wish they would hatch some of their own though. I can tell that neither of the GLW's are being bred because all my other hens are bald thanks to the Roo's but these two have all their feathers except the other one is missing some back feathers? Not sure if that is from the pecking order, the Roo's or maybe even something tried to grab her? But she doesn't seem to mind the slight draft on her behind LOL!

And now that silly broody with her single child refuses to go into the coop at night!!! She slept outside with the chick next to the coop door??? I tried for 20 minutes and suffered about a thousand mosquito bites trying to get her to go in? I was nervous all night listening for any kind of screeching or predators. My run is secure but if something REALLY wants to get at them, I was always a little more comfortable with them having to go through the run AND the coop walls if they wanted them that badly.
She is crazy protective and all the others seem REALLY curious about this chick (especially the other 11 chicken teens) so she is on guard constantly! I threw the other 3 eggs away. She never went back in and nobody else wanted to sit on them like they usually do...maybe she knew they were bad?

And of course now one of my original broodies is sitting on a nest *heavy sigh* what the heck am I gonna do with all these chicks if they continue to hatch them????

Oh boy, I do not envy you two teens driving!! at least I had a tiny break in between my two! GOOD LUCK!

@Bogtown Chick I feel the pain of two kids driving at once too.....Also I feel the pain of the increased insurance... I assume this mean you need to get 2 cars one for each kid? Good thing Hubby is a banker... You will need the in with the bankers..

Siggie I would use the old fishing net on the hen and cage her. I ended up doing that to my turkey hen with a single poult. If not the chick will most likely die. NOTE|: It is a two person job, you need a good netter to get the hen fast and in one swipe and someone to grab the chick and hold it where the hen can see it..

When releasing in the cage, Chick goes in corner first hen in other corner and run...The hen will be "madder than a wet hen".... truly..

Screenshot_20170612-233526.png

Hope you guys get something. By time the storm got here it was so thin, i don't think we got over .75 inches. The ground is still wet though

You guys are getting what it was here in 2014 and 2015. It never stopped raining, and we had so many bad storms hail, lots of funnel clouds, and tornadoes that never touched. I would kill for that this year

Last edited:
Layers, I have been like you t his year, the rain is either north or south of me...Until this week, I am so glad to have gotten the rain...

BUT now it can stop for a week and hit me again.

We have too. In 2015 it rained basically every other day. In 2016 it wasn't like this but we still didnt have lots of rain. I think after this rain we are over 2 inches since the snow has melted.

IMG_4645.PNG
The storm is almost gone and not a drop of rain. We could have used it but we don't need it. We have plenty of excess pasture still and the hay is growing after rain the other day.

Back
Top Bottom